Family ATVing Photos Post photos of yourself, family and friends on the trail.

Paiute Trail, Utah

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by greg74
I'd love to go out there once and ride it. Its a long trip from here, I just don't get enough free time to take a few days and drive out there.
It's a longer trip from Massachusetts. My own thoughts on having driven 2500 one way and 2500 back; It's worth every mile. My son, Moose One, buddy PJ, and I took turns driving. Trip out was a little bit rocky with trailer failure on the one we intended to take and tire blow out on the one we ended up taking. Even with the extra few hours spent finding a new tire and getting it put on a rim, it was worth the trip. I would do it again in a heartbeat if I had the funds.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
...My own thoughts on having driven 2500 one way and 2500 back; It's worth every smile...
Fixed that for you!

There is also the fly out and rent a quad for those who can't dedicate that amount of time to travel.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Would love to ride that area myself. Just retired and looking at motorhomes but wondering if all the gas in a motorhome driving 2000 miles each way will really be worth it? There are so many ride areas east of the ole Mississippi not sure I will get around to riding all of them.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

There are so many great areas to ride and things to see on a road trip from OH out west that I would say it absolutely would be worth the cost in fuel to make the trip. Not just for riding the Paiute but for all the amazing sights to see too. There is also Moab and many other awesome places in CO to ride as well.

Per your looking into a motorhome, make sure you fully understand what you are getting into with one before you take the plunge. Generally, with a motorhome you are going to want to have a toed, towed vehicle, so you do not have to break camp to make sight seeing trips or a trip to the grocery store. That would mean not towing a OHV trailer so you would potentially need to look for a toy hauler motorhome, which are not all that common.

I would absolutely love to have a slide-in camper like Specta as you can tow your OHV trailer behind it... but you really need a lot of truck with payload in the 4000lbs + area as those slide-ins are very heavy, then tack on the trailer tongue weight. But, trucks with slide-ins probable have the best access into areas motorhomes and long trailer combos will have issues with. Only downside to a slide-in is less space inside the trailer for yourself/partner/friend and storage. But, you can drop the slide-in at camp and still use your truck along with OHV trailer.

A short toy hauler trailer is a pretty decent option, but again, make sure you have plenty of truck to handle the payload. With a RV toy hauler trailer (bumper pull), you can do your longer distance travel with your OHV in the trailer, setup camp, leave the trailer setup, and go out on your OHV, use the truck to go to the store/sight seeing, etc. You can also use the bed of the truck to transport your OHV to a trail head that you possibly could not drive the OHV to. There are also toy hauler 5th wheels but now you have the 5th hitch in the bed of the truck. Some of those can come out fairly easy if you need to use the truck bed for OHV transport.

I have thought about these types of things a lot. I was ready to sell my travel trailer and go down the slide-in camper path but may hold off that decision. I recently bought a DiamondBack ATV tonneau cover for my 1-ton truck and that is giving me more options. I am going to keep my TT for now, a 26BHS (30 ft point to bumper) as I have a convinient way to transport 2 ATVs on my long bed truck and still pull my 9500 lbs GVWR trailer as I have enough payload for that combo. If I do sell the trailer, I may opt to go for a shorter toy hauler 5th wheel as some of those configurations are pretty cool now. That way my wife will not feel so confined within a slide-in camper.

I suppose the reasoning behind why I am mentioning all this is make sure to do your homework first as RVs tend to not be a cheap purchase. You would really be disappointed to make the purchase only to find a severe limitation you were not expecting.

Sorry for the thread derail.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRocket204
Fixed that for you!

There is also the fly out and rent a quad for those who can't dedicate that amount of time to travel.
We did that in 2013. Rental quads weren't bad but weren't great. A 570 RZR at 10,000 ft. isn't exactly exciting. The quads we rented had even smaller engines.

It IS hard to not smile out there. Beautiful country, nice people, riding into town for gas, food, and lodging. Yep, it's a great time.

Old 04-15-2017, 05:05 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRocket204
There are so many great areas to ride and things to see on a road trip from OH out west that I would say it absolutely would be worth the cost in fuel to make the trip. Not just for riding the Paiute but for all the amazing sights to see too. There is also Moab and many other awesome places in CO to ride as well.

Per your looking into a motorhome, make sure you fully understand what you are getting into with one before you take the plunge. Generally, with a motorhome you are going to want to have a toed, towed vehicle, so you do not have to break camp to make sight seeing trips or a trip to the grocery store. That would mean not towing a OHV trailer so you would potentially need to look for a toy hauler motorhome, which are not all that common.

I would absolutely love to have a slide-in camper like Specta as you can tow your OHV trailer behind it... but you really need a lot of truck with payload in the 4000lbs + area as those slide-ins are very heavy, then tack on the trailer tongue weight. But, trucks with slide-ins probable have the best access into areas motorhomes and long trailer combos will have issues with. Only downside to a slide-in is less space inside the trailer for yourself/partner/friend and storage. But, you can drop the slide-in at camp and still use your truck along with OHV trailer.

A short toy hauler trailer is a pretty decent option, but again, make sure you have plenty of truck to handle the payload. With a RV toy hauler trailer (bumper pull), you can do your longer distance travel with your OHV in the trailer, setup camp, leave the trailer setup, and go out on your OHV, use the truck to go to the store/sight seeing, etc. You can also use the bed of the truck to transport your OHV to a trail head that you possibly could not drive the OHV to. There are also toy hauler 5th wheels but now you have the 5th hitch in the bed of the truck. Some of those can come out fairly easy if you need to use the truck bed for OHV transport.

I have thought about these types of things a lot. I was ready to sell my travel trailer and go down the slide-in camper path but may hold off that decision. I recently bought a DiamondBack ATV tonneau cover for my 1-ton truck and that is giving me more options. I am going to keep my TT for now, a 26BHS (30 ft point to bumper) as I have a convinient way to transport 2 ATVs on my long bed truck and still pull my 9500 lbs GVWR trailer as I have enough payload for that combo. If I do sell the trailer, I may opt to go for a shorter toy hauler 5th wheel as some of those configurations are pretty cool now. That way my wife will not feel so confined within a slide-in camper.

I suppose the reasoning behind why I am mentioning all this is make sure to do your homework first as RVs tend to not be a cheap purchase. You would really be disappointed to make the purchase only to find a severe limitation you were not expecting.

Sorry for the thread derail.
That would be my choice if I was going to get a trailer or camper. It seems like it's the most versatile set-up and it's not the most expensive.

I doubt I'll ever ride anywhere out of state but would love to go to the Hatfield McCoy Trails first before I drove out west. The Paiute Trail looks awesome but that's a long drive. The shortest route would be 1,746 miles from my house and a 25 hour drive. There's no way I could convince my friends to go with me and and a 4-5 hour drive up to the UP is enough to make me tired of driving. By myself it would probably take me 4 days, give or take a day.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

We are choosing the motorhome route as we don't have to be anywhere at any particular time. We have done the tent, popup campers and also hardtop travel trailers. All have there advantages and disadvantages. We are choosing the motorhome because I don't want to spend 50,000 for a tow vehicle on top of the cost of a travel trailer and also because I would not be able to take my UTV with us. We like the ability to eat or prepare lunch or dinner while traveling down the road. If we need groceries then we stop before making camp. Not towing another car either, they get bad enough fuel economy without dragging along another 3000 lb vehicle. Unhooking is not that bad if you need to leave camp, the trick is to not put stuff away, leave the water and elec. cord just lay there until you get back, same with sewer hose if you have it. We have been researching this for a couple years and also using our prior camping experience as references to making our decision. I am also buying a used motorhome, not a new one ....way to costly!! In fact we just received word that our offer was accepted on a 28 ft motorhome. Interior is like new and owner has all receipts and books and papers from day one including all repair and maintenance records. I think this is gonna be fun, sure beats sitting home and watching the grass grow.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
I am also buying a used motorhome, not a new one ....way to costly!!
I concur on going the used route. In fact, that is kind of the reason I am doing my homework now on new toy hauler trailers so in a couple years, I already have in mind what I would like to switch to.

Sounds like you also have taken into account considerations and you're doing your homework. Everyone has what works best for them so it certainly is not my place to decide for you

If you do pick it up, start your own thread and provide some pictures of it. Do you intend to use the motorhome to tow a trailer that has your OHV?

Old 04-16-2017, 10:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We used to do primitive camping, I guess that's the least expensive option. I know some places have cabins, I like that option better now. Especially if the cabins are right on the trail so you park once and don't have to move your tow vehicle again. Even just a primitive kitchen with only a refrigerator and microwave would do. I guess you could bring a grill with you as well. I just don't have the time at this point in my life to do a lot of traveling so buying a motorhome or toy hauler would not be something I could get a lot of use out of. I honestly just prefer shorter day trips where you don't have to bring anything with you. Maybe a small cooler with some cold drinks and a few snacks and a change of clothes(so I don't have to wear muddy clothes home) and that's about it.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:56 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to do a lot of day trips when I rode by myself. Now I ride with my friends, mostly on holiday weekends, and pitch a tent on their property anywhere from a weekend to 2-3 weeks around the 4th of July. When I was a kid my family used to go camping a lot and we parked a travel trailer in the middle of the national forest far away from any campgrounds. It was a lot of fun and for a long time I thought that's what camping was all about. I think we went to a campground with some friends one time.

Quick Reply: Paiute Trail, Utah