General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Outrageous pricing

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 08:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Outrageous pricing

I’m new at this, and maybe I’m a bit out of line , I need to get this off my chest and talk to people that know more than I.

I have been in the market for a ATV for months, trying to pick the right ATV for my needs. What has not made any sense is WHY are ATV’s so expensive, Does anyone know and what can we do as a consumer to send this message to the manufactures that we have had enough.

Why is a ATV priced the same card out there? Cars have double the metal / material and I think the technology to develop and manufacture a car is also twice the effort. So how can any ATV manufacture Like Yamaha justify this outrageous pricing?

So if anyone can let me know why, I would appreciate it , and how can we send this message to them that we HAVE HAD ENOUGH

Old 04-18-2009, 08:55 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

What car can you buy for $6000-$9000? out the door?

What I find odd is some manufacturers sell 550 mid size ATVs for more than other manufacturers sell big bore 750s.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider

Well with Yamaha you are also paying for the name, but Yamaha builds some well built machines. Everything is expensive these days, I remember when a YZ 125 was about $2000.00 back in 80's. You'll find that all the ATV's in same class are about the same, witht he exception of those cheap ATV's they sell at Pep Boys. When I was in the market for an ATV, I wanted to get the biggest one they made, but couldn't justify payments for a $9k ATV, so I shopped around. I also came to the conclusion that I didn't need the biggest , most fastest ATV out there, a 450 is perfect for me. I don't exceed 35 mph on most the trails I ride, cause not only are they bumpy and rocky, but I have a bad back too. The only benefit of a bigger machine to me is the torque for pulling heavier stuff like logs and what not out of the woods to my burn pit, but I really have yet to be challeneged on pulling a heavy log out.

A 450's top speed is about 45-50, and I only went 45 once on the street with it. I bought mine as a left over, so you can find great deals on the left overs cause dealers wont to get rid of inventory. There is a lawn mower reapair and sales shop near me that is selling Kawasaki ATV's for cost. They are brand new and from 05-06. Many manufactures have very afforable payments too! So that is another way they can catch the consumer into forking out lots of money.

The best advice is to shop around, and compare brands. I bought my ATV just after buying a new Ztwo for my business and got great deals on both of the machines. Winded up saving thousands on both of them combined because I shopped around.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:25 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

The only benefit of a bigger machine to me is the torque for pulling heavier stuff like logs and what not out of the woods to my burn pit, but I really have yet to be challeneged on pulling a heavy log out.
Low range on smaller ATVs takes care of that situation. My old 89 350 4wd Big Bear would snap all the Axel's before it could run out of wheel turning power in low range.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

No doubt denying that new ATV's are expensive but you also need to realize that there is ton of technology in today's machines. What would you rather be riding a trail ride a 80 vintage Big Red or a New big bore by any of todays big name MFGS? With the proper mainanece on any of todays machines they will probobly outlast the owner. There is allot more to most machines than meets the eye such as building stuff to last with lighter materials that are strong yet cost effective, building bigger motors that get better MPG's, belt trannys thoe simple in use are expensive in design. Yamaha on there Grizzly units desing the bike with what Yamaha calls mass centrilization meaning trying to put all the main weight in the low and in the center of the bike giving what they and I feel is the best center of gravity/ride feel of just about any bike out there allong with some of the most ground clearance of any bike out there. This all adds up to quality bike and ride. You can buy any brand and they all have technology of some sort built into there bikes between EFI and power sterring I personally think you are getting your money's worth. Are they worh big money like a car well that is up to you but I know one thing my truck has never seen 4ft jumps or been swamped in mud like my atv has!

IMO you gota pay to play!

Old 04-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

Motorcycles, atvs, snowmobiles run right around the same price range. Shop around, go for a prior year holdover. Just have to do your research to find the best deal.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

It is based on volume.
Although safety, emissions, etc, are tougher on automobiles than quads or motorcycles, the manufacturer can amortize the production costs over tens of thousands-or even millions-of units.
ATVs & motorcycles are low production vehicles. Therefore their per unit production costs--and retail price--are comparatively high.
I have two Kawasaki motorcycles--a 2003 KLR650 dual sport and a 2001 Concours sport tourer.
Both were/are in production virtually unchanged for 20 years, and the prices were, adjusted for inflation, pretty much the same as when first sold (the 2008 Concours is an all-new motorcycle, and the price increased about 50% from the 2006 Concours). Kawasaki kept the price of the Concours and KLR650 low, because the tooling/manufacturing costs were recouped over 20 years and hundreds of thousands units.
When Kawasaki updated the KLR650 for the 2008 model year, the price increased only a small amount, as the majority of the motorcycle (engine, frame, etc) were left unchanged.
The 2008 Concours, on the other hand, was/is an all-new frame-up motorcycle, and has a price tag to match.
For me, I like the low tech angle--I can work on all my motorcycles and quads. None have fuel injection, and all can be maintained with basic hand tools and a torque wrench. I can-and have-modified the carbuerators on all my quads/motorcycles with Dynojet kits.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:46 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

ATV resales are so much different then Snowmobiles up here in Canada. Snowmobiles and ATVs are priced the same when new on the show room floor, but a 5 year old ATV sells for more than a 2 year old sled when sold used .

Old 04-18-2009, 04:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

First of all I would like to thanks everyone for their response.

The car that sells for around 9 – 10 k plus tax in Montreal, are from the Hyundai family (Accent, and Elantra), yes they are cars, not 4 x 4, but still a car with a lot of added features we do not have on ATV’s.

I can also understand that supply and demand , dictating pricing for a lot of ATV’s and seasonal recreational vehicles but still does not make this right. Why Yamaha, due to all the reviews and comments from users, I also like Polaris and Kawa, they are all equally pricy. I never liked second hand , is not my first choice, this is due to not knowing what the other driver has put the unit through.

This is not an attack on all you ATV enthusiasts, I just needed to let out some steam, cheaper than seeing a shrink, Ha Ha…

Thanks for all your feed back, and maybe will see you on the back road some day, buy from Montreal…

Old 04-18-2009, 07:24 PM
Trailblazer

with the economy in the toilet you can get great deals on new holdovers .....you can t go n jump n wheelie those new cars n trucks......

Quick Reply: Outrageous pricing