General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Opinions from you pro's

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 10:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions from you pro's

Hello All,

I own a 08 700 Grizzly w/eps and am very happy with it's perfomance and handling ect. That is, until a friend of mine let me ride his 09 850 XP Sportsman. Fast, smooth, and handles about as good as my Grizz and this one is non powersteering. Even weighing 185lbs more you don't really notice it. One thing I did notice about the XP was taking off...a slight lag, then jerk, kinda like dumping the clutch on a clutch bike. Could just be this quad..I don't know. I'm thinking of selling my Grizz and buying the Polaris. One of the things stops me is, I am very confident with Yamaha's quality and engineering but don't know much about Polaris, especially this new quad. Again, the Grizz is a really nice machine but that new Polaris is cool. Any un-biased opinions?

Thanks
Tim

Old 04-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Trailblazer

Keep the Grizzly. Here it has a much higher resale value than Polaris machines and as far as dependability goes, there is no comparison.

Jim

Old 04-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Jim...anyone else?

Old 04-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

i say keep the grizz as well. the polaris is a new model and there might be some flaws and bugs to work out. Give it a bit and see what happens. If you want a bit more power look into a ecu for your bike. I just purchased a copperhead ecu for mine and is supposed to add about 8hp. so they say,but im currently in new york working so it will be a bit before i get to try it out.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Both excellent quads from what I've read. I'd do as some others have said and wait a year or two to see if there are any major design flaws as the 850 XP is very new.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:02 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

And the lag you feel is the clutch engagement. Think of an old fashioned stall convertor (if you're that old) on a car. It can be fine tuned a bit with different weights and springs, but it's something you get used to.

I'd hang on to the grizz a little while longer. As new as it is, you're not gonna get back the money you paid for it, so might as well enjoy your cash for a bit.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:03 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Keep the Grizzly it has every option a ATV can have and dont wory about more power, all the big bore atvs go over 65mph and all 5psi balloon tire atvs do not handle well above that no matter who makes it.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks to everyone for the replies! "Think of an old fashioned stall convertor (if you're that old) on a car." I'm knock'n on 50...seen a bunch of them stall converters I've always been a gearhead with motorcycles/boats/cars and such...just recently got into the quad stuff. Now we have three and our friends are buying them too...having a blast! Wife is ate-up with it too!

Old 04-21-2009, 10:52 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by erichead
Thanks to everyone for the replies! "Think of an old fashioned stall convertor (if you're that old) on a car." I'm knock'n on 50...seen a bunch of them stall converters I've always been a gearhead with motorcycles/boats/cars and such...just recently got into the quad stuff. Now we have three and our friends are buying them too...having a blast! Wife is ate-up with it too!
Well, I'm not technically knockin on 50, but I do see them holding the door for me.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:55 AM
Pro Rider

I have yet to see a Polaris that will hang with a Yamaha in dependability and durability. I am not convinced that the 850 will outperform the 700 Griz yet either. That is a pretty big weight difference to overcome, and the physical size is in favor of the Yamaha as well. Just like anything else it depends on what you are doing with it. My 700 is just getting broke in and I am guessing that I have nearly 20% more power than it had when under 250 miles and I ride hard. It may take alot more miles to break in one that is not ridden hard.

Quick Reply: Opinions from you pro's