General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

NEED opinions... help me to decide!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED opinions... help me to decide!

Right now I have a Honda Recon 250 (ute quad) That I love and it hasnt really given me that many problems. I have it built up the way I want it with a winch, plow, dual snorkels and new Mudlites....

BUT... I recently started to get into track riding/motocross and am really wanting a dirtbike.

I can sell my ATV and be able to afford a 4 stroke 250 dirtbike (yz250f or kx250f)

the problem is I want the bike as much as I want my quad lol

I just cant choose!

I would love to get into motocross and maybe start racing C-class and I figure I can do most trails on a bike that I could on my quad.... my quads only 2wd anyway

Basically if I get the bike I wont be able to do deep water/mudding and I wont be able to snowplow anymore BUT I will be able to do track riding which I really enjoy.

I just need help deciding if it is worth giving up my quad...
let me know what you think!!

Old 05-03-2009, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

I used to have a KX250 and while it was fun for a while it just plain wore me out. I took it trail riding a bunch and it is fun, but it got old real quick. With a ATV you can sort of putt around and stop and rest much easier than a dirt bike in my opinion.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

Keep the four wheels

Old 05-04-2009, 07:42 AM
Pro Rider

keep the 4-wheeler.

on the + side you've got something to sit on & rest to get your 2nd wind. On the dirtbike......not so much.

my2¢

Old 05-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider

I got a KLR250 which I hardly ever use anymore, just sits in the garage. After purcahsing my Kodiak450 I just don't have any interest on riding a dirt bike anymore, or shall I say enduro. If I do happen to take out the KLR and go off road, I wish I was on my ATV exploring the trails instead. ATV's are much more fun and useful imo. Getting bikes stuck and having to get them out of mud is not fun, and when trails get rocky, and ATV is much better to be on.

Have you maybe thought of getting a new ATV instead of a dirtbike? You can always transfer the plow over to a new ATV.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Range Rover

Well, I really dont do much trail riding as is and there are a couple tracks near me that I love to ride at. Not being able to stop and rest isnt really a problem for me and Im really itchin for speed and I figure motocross would be a good way to spend my time if I got into racing every now and then...

But the other thing that I have considered (that is in my price range) is a raptor 660.... Ive ridden race quads and love the feel of them plus I can tear up the track and haul *** on it while still being able to do decent on the trails if I please... I just cant choose whether I would go all the way and get the bike or meat somewhere inbetween and get a racing quad.

Would plowing still be do-able on a racing quad (I know I could mount the plow and a temporary winch along with some tire chains, but I'm not sure a chain-drive would be the best for plowing)