General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Getting my first quad on Wednesday

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 09:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting my first quad on Wednesday

Hey how's it going!

I've always wanted a quad or a dirtbike. I've had motorcycles before, but never a quad. Well, I finally decided to get one. I cleared out storage space in my basement, and my buddy found me someone who is selling a Suzuki 450LTR. That should be a great starter for me (I've learned from riding motorcycles that it's a waste of money to get a 'stater bike', when you know you're only gonna want to go bigger in like a year). So I just went and got a fast, big boy right out of the gate!

I live in the city though, so I gotta figure out where I'm gonna ride this thing at, but im sure I'll be hanging out with new people that are already into riding, and they will know where the spots are at.

Another plus is I will finally actually LIKE the snow, because up until now I've hated it!

Anyway, just saying hello!

Old 09-22-2015, 06:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Zuk is a great quad. Suspension and handling are top notch. If you already can work a clutch you will be fine. Just ride within your limits, these things are fast.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Also, snow over 5 inches or so still makes life difficult on a sport quad. I pretty much put those toys up for winter out here, lol.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:02 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Another plus is I will finally actually LIKE the snow, because up until now I've hated it!
My 4wds and diff lockers, have a hard time in winter and are parked for 5 months and they have 25" tires and 10" of ground clearance.

A 2wd sport ATV will be 5x worst , unless your winter are tamer where your from.

But yes you have a fast ATV there, should be fun.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Other than a lot of East Coast states there is riding somewhere in the state. Try posting your location in the Where to Ride part of the forums. Maybe you'll be able to hook up with some guys.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you know how to work a clutch on a motorcycle, then a quad should be no problem. A few inches of snow and you can still get somewhere on that 450. Anything more than that and you"ll be spinning your wheels. But yes, it should be a hoot to ride. Plenty of power for sure.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ah that sucks. I always thought quads (even sport) were awesome in the snow!

I remember when I was back in highschool, me and my buddies would ride their quads all day long in the snow. Then again, I'm not talking about thick powder. I'm talking about roads that cars are driving on still, but are still covered in snow. In a car it's all slippery, and most people don't drive in it...but I always see kids from the neighborhood whipping quads around.

So it's basically like that tight packed (from all the cars) snow that I'm talking about. I'd be riding around on main roads. It's illegal to ride ATVs on main roads, but when it snows everyone does it anyway, and cops don't really bother ya. I wouldn't expect to be able to go trail riding in thick powder snow or anything though .

Old 09-23-2015, 11:30 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Packed snow you will be fine. Wind swept frozen lakes are fun too.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:47 PM
Moto Psycho

I had fun riding my Trailblazer in the snow when the trails were packed down. I've also been on part of the same trail where you couldn't even go in four wheel drive. It all depends on the condition of the snow and if it's had any traffic. One time I could ride on top of the snow and later the same day the top crust melted and I sunk in and got stuck in the same place.