General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Utility quads. Most important items you look for when buying?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't there a torsion bar type thing inside the Grizzly steering stem that will twist as torque is applied to the handlbars to turn the tires? Two sensors pick up this twist in the torsion bar and add steering assist in proportion to how much torque is being applied to the handlebars.

I'll bet my Grizzly works the exact same as you're guys Grizzlys do, and I'll bet we are both feeling the same thing, except I'm saying it doesn't work sitting still and you're saying it does work sitting still. Perhaps this is because you are putting more torque on the handlebars than I am, and with low amounts of torque being applied it does not add any power assist. What do you think?

Old 07-03-2009, 04:00 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great review Badtwin. It is really helpful to the new buyers of this king of quad.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:46 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The options I would not do without is a "low range" and a "True AWD" system of some type. 90% of Utility ATVs are Belt drive, and there sealed so the go in as high of water as a Gear drive ATV.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

need to know where to set timing marks on sprockets for my 2004 trx450 Honda Fourman

Old 07-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Can anyone help me out with my timing chain settings on a Honda trx450 fourman

Old 07-03-2009, 01:32 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by DesertViper
Isn't there a torsion bar type thing inside the Grizzly steering stem that will twist as torque is applied to the handlbars to turn the tires? Two sensors pick up this twist in the torsion bar and add steering assist in proportion to how much torque is being applied to the handlebars.

I'll bet my Grizzly works the exact same as you're guys Grizzlys do, and I'll bet we are both feeling the same thing, except I'm saying it doesn't work sitting still and you're saying it does work sitting still. Perhaps this is because you are putting more torque on the handlebars than I am, and with low amounts of torque being applied it does not add any power assist. What do you think?
Your right, I was putting more pressure on the bars and it does require more force at stand still but it still works a little right (thats what I thought anyway). Maybe I'm wrong, but it should work and it makes a little noise making me think it works. Anyway the real miracle of the power steering is when your jamming down a bumpy rutted trail and your arms arent having the p!ss flogged out of em.
When buying a new atv don't leave the dealer without power steering , independent rear suspension , and EFI.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

My 700

Old 07-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by coolrunnings
Your right, I was putting more pressure on the bars and it does require more force at stand still but it still works a little right (thats what I thought anyway). Maybe I'm wrong, but it should work and it makes a little noise making me think it works. Anyway the real miracle of the power steering is when your jamming down a bumpy rutted trail and your arms arent having the p!ss flogged out of em.
When buying a new atv don't leave the dealer without power steering , independent rear suspension , and EFI.
I think you nailed it right on the head. Those really are the big three must have items. I would not buy a big 4x4 ATV without IRS, or without EFI, and if I had a choice of power steering or not, I would certainly get it. After you have those three you can start adding on other desirable traits, like the type of transmission, the type of front differential, center of gravity, etc.

DV

Old 07-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Trailblazer

A Rancher 420 4x4 may be everything you're looking for. Try to find one to ride if possible.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:31 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I think I would rather have a AWD system of some type before EFI,as a feature if I had to chose between them. Lots of times you want all 4wheels in the action in some situations.

The Regular 5speed 420 Rancher has no IRS,Low range or AWD Diff lock or rear disk brake ,thats alot of nice missing features to miss.

Quick Reply: Utility quads. Most important items you look for when buying?