General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Best ATV Oil???

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 05:50 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best ATV Oil???

Hey fellas, I need some help.

I have been buying Honda GN4 10w-40 for both my ATV's. They are a Honda 400EX and Honda Rancher 350 ES. As you know, Honda has one heck of a price on there oil.

I'm wondering what everyone else uses for everyday riding. No extreme weather oils or anything like that. I just would like your advice on an everyday ATV motor oil.
I see that Valvoline has came out with a new 10w-40 ATV oil for wet-clutch applications. Anybody have any reviews on that?? I see it's going for $4 a quart, not bad.
I appreciate you help.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know someone who uses the Castrol ATV oil, they have no complaints so I imagine the Valvoline is probably OK too....... any oil will work if you change it frequently and don't abuse the engine too much.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:28 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Any motorcycle grade "Full synthetic oil",and not those synthetic blends with only 10-20% synthectic oil in them,might as well stick with plain conventional oil in that case.

Type in Google "Conventional oil vs Synthetic" and try to find a advantage conventional oil has over sythetic oil, good luck.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

I currently use AMSOIL 0w40 Full Synthetic for my Arctic Cat 650TRV and use AC's 0w40 ACX for the wifey's 550. I also use AMSOIL's 75w90 hypoid synthetic gear lube in the diffs. of both machines.

We deal with extreme temperature variances in ND. (-40 to +90F) throughout the yr. Having synthetic oil that can handle that is a must.

my 2¢

Old 07-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Trailblazer

I saw that Castrol has an oil called ACT>Evo X-Tra Off Road 4T. Has anybody ever used this? It says nothing about being suitable for wet clucth applications. ???

Old 07-09-2009, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider

full synthetic here Maxima extra i dont skimp on oil. stuff costs plenty but worth it. after draining honda oil out and seeing what it looked like after little over 100 miles on it, i decided to go synthetic and went with maxima the stuff still looks good after 200 miles.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:23 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by mburk18
I saw that Castrol has an oil called ACT>Evo X-Tra Off Road 4T. Has anybody ever used this? It says nothing about being suitable for wet clucth applications. ???

Is that a synthetic oil? If not I,m sure Castrol makes a synthetic motorcycle grade oil,there all made for wet clutches.

I used Amsoil its for wet clutches even though my ATV does not require it.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider

I have been running Valvoline in everything that I have owned since 1976 and have never had an oil related problem. I have also never had a problem with sludge build up. Last week I sunk my 700 Grizzly and filled the engine with water and had to change it 5 times to get rid of the "milk". I used the cheapest oil that Auto Zone had to do the flushing and refilled it with The Valvoline ATV oil, which I had in it when I sunk it. The oil prior to sinking the quad I had checked before riding that day, and with 150 miles on it was so clear that it was difficult to see on the stick. I am a complete believer in Valvoline, and I personally think that synthetic oil is a waste of money. Since I have never had an oil related problem in over 30 years I fail to see where synthetic would benefit me or my equipment. My old Ford F150 has 180,000 miles on it and again, have never had an oil related problem. The truck I had prior to the one I have now was an 89 F150 and it had 320,000 miles on it and had never had a gasket broken on the motor, and didn't use a drop in a 3,000 mile interval between changes. I also used Valvoline exclusively on that truck as well. People can do whatever they want, but for my money I will continue to use ordinary Valvoline and use the savings to replace tires, etc.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah, I do like Valvoline too. I just never paid attention to much to know that they had ATV oil out there. I just did an oil change using Honda GN4, but the when I get back from my trip to Iron Co., WI I will put Valvoline in both of them. I have run Valvoline 5w-30 in my 1993 Ford Bronco, and like you said, I don't have any problems with it. On the other hand, I do run Mobile 1 through my 2003 Ford F150, just because its a newer vehicle.
I honestly don't believe sythentics run better than conventional. But, I do think that I can get more miles out of an synthetic before the oil starts breaking down.

Thanks for the Valvoline input man. I wanted to hear someone's input that actually uses Valvoline ATV oil.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

You are welcome mburk18, I think that many people assume that they have to run something special in their quads, bikes, and whatever else but I don't think they actually think about it. For some the cost is immaterial but not for others. If I were to have gone to Yamaha and purchased their oil and filter it would have cost me nearly $50to change my oil. Using the Valvoline ATV oil, and a Fram oil filter that is readily available at my local farm and home store, I now change my oil for less than $20. Whether cost is a factor for a person or not, I doubt that anyone is in favor of paying more than they have to. But then again........