General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

new rider questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009 | 08:55 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default new rider questions

hi all ,,,brand spanking new here,,,looking for recommendations on what to get,,,this is what im looking for

riding trails
4x4
automatic
maybe reverse

looking at buying used ,,what would be the best bang for my buck ? looking too spend no more than 4,000

many thanks all

vic

Old 08-04-2009 | 09:09 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Welcome to the forums. There are alot of quads that meet your description. Any of the major manufacturers make great 4x4s. Maybe if you give us a price range and what years you are hoping to get we can come up with some suggestions.

Old 08-04-2009 | 09:41 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

as my first post says ,,no more than 4,000 ,,used,,

Old 08-04-2009 | 09:54 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Sorry, about that. Didn't see the amount. Polaris Sportsman, Honda Rancher, Yamaha Grizzly, Suzuki Eiger or King Quad, Kawasaki Prairie are all quads that you might be able to get if they are a few years old. I'd check Craigslist in your area every day. If you get an automatic you will get reverse. It's only a few kid's quads and sports quads that don't have reverse. If you like a comfortable ride get an independent rear suspension quad. If you like power sliding in the corners more than comfort get a straight axle rear. 500cc displacement quads are more than enough power for just about anything you can do with a quad.

Old 08-04-2009 | 10:31 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

hey moose thanks for all that info,,,am pretty new too all this ,,an independent rear suspension for comfort would be great ,,

Old 08-04-2009 | 11:45 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

The Polaris Sporstman has had IRS since I can remember. Not sure on other's used quads as far as what had IRS and what didn't. Look around and test drive if possible. If you know someone who is mechanically inclined bring him with you. Buying used will usually mean there is at least a small issue. Best advice is to be patient while looking. It took me a month of watching Craigslist before I bought my son's ATP (solid axle). I got his quad for $3500 less than the guy paid the year before. It was worth the wait.

Old 08-04-2009 | 12:12 PM
Trailblazer
Full Time DAD!

I love my Rancher 420. It's 4wheeldrive and I paid around 4500 for it new nearly 2 years ago. It's SRA but I don't find the ride too bad, personally. Plenty of pep and handles like a dream on the trails.

Good luck choosing/finding one that's right for you.

Old 08-07-2009 | 12:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Take a look at the older trailboss. I've got a '93 250 with hi/low/reverse and 4x4. about $700 invested

Old 08-07-2009 | 03:21 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.

Try some dealers in your area, sometimes they have used quads that were traded in, or even a new.. old stock you can pick up cheap.

Old 08-07-2009 | 08:00 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

with the information givin by the others,Id just add that when you do find something you maybe intrested in,come back on here and fill us in on what you found and everyone will be able to give more advise,opinion,pros.,cons.ect... on that specific model. When it comes down to it,its not what we all think you should get or what the best is,its what you feel comfy on and what you like about the atv. There really isnt too much out there thats gonna give you trouble,unless it was abused by the previous owner. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Quick Reply: new rider questions