General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

helmet help

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TLC
Do they even sell Helments that are not DOT or snell aproved? I never seen one up here.
Yeah in the US is has to be DOT approved, but it does not have to be SNELL approved to sell it.... The SNELL standard costs more money because the makers are paying for the tests..... The only problem with the DOT rating, is that the DOT does not test them. They send out a "test it yourself" list of instructions you are supposed to follow.

A DOT helmet is supposed to have certain dimensions, chin strap, a certain foam density, and a plastic shell that will withstand an empty 15 foot ball drop.

In theory this is fine, but you are putting a lot of faith in the manufacturer in approving their own product. I've seen DOT helmets from makers like HJC, and to be honest I'd probably trust those because HJC is a good company. I would NEVER wear some Wal-Mart of Tractor Supply helmet in a million years, because who knows if they are tested or not.

In Europe they have ECE, which is the same basic test as DOT, but the government does independent tests to approve ECE helmets, and they get two other private labs to test them. ECE also test impact density of the foam with a mock skull in the helmet, which is an attempt to quantify concussion risks. Not an easy task but they are trying.

SNELL came on the scene in the US basically to set a standard that needed to be reached independently. There are valid arguments that the SNELL rating is too tough and goes beyond what is really needed to be safe. But most good helmets will easily pass it. And in turn it proves the lid really is DOT approved.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think of those tiny peanut shells that guys who ride choppers wear to get past the helmet laws. What are those going to protect??? Nothing, they are DOT approved.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:10 PM
Trailblazer

I looked at those sites and saw a couple for about $60. So, we are going to go that route. THanks so much for the information!!

Old 08-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

what ever helmet u go with make sure it fits good and your head dont move around.remember this is your life your protecting to me its worth every penny dont go cheap.i had a 2002 660raptor and i was screwing around in the woods going fast and i hit a rock a big one and it shot me right into a tree i broke both collar bones snapped the frame on my bike and hit my head into a tree if i was wearing my cheap helmet that i paid 40 bucks for my wife would be feeding me through a straw and wheeling me around.the helmet is what saved me and the padding in it.its like going to the doctor to save your life but asking him to doit for a cheap price.sorry for the story.just be safe

Old 08-25-2009, 03:34 PM
Trailblazer

bklynhunter, you are very lucky!!! THanks for sharing.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:12 AM
Range Rover

I never knew of Snell so I only looked for DOT approved helmets which is pretty much everything being sold legally.

Fly Racing Kinetic Helmet - Motorcycle Men's MX Helmets 2010

Thats the helmet I got but I have no idea if its snell approved. And if I should be concerned about it since it seems good enough to keep my noggin safe during my weekend warrior runs.

is there a way to find out if something is snell approved?

EDIT: Apparently i got the '09 version of that helmet

Old 08-26-2009, 07:37 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 165 Likes on 164 Posts

If it doesn't say it's Snell Approved, it's not.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:50 AM
Pro Rider

You can get some good deals online BUT, IMO fit and comfort are very important too! The best way to insure that is to buy them locally and try them on before you buy them! JMO.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:02 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 165 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by rancher55
You can get some good deals online BUT, IMO fit and comfort are very important too! The best way to insure that is to buy them locally and try them on before you buy them! JMO.
Good point Rancher. And not all brands will fit the same as well. One brands medium may be another ones small or large.

Being cheap myself, I've bought a few helmets online. What I do, is find the brand that I like (and my wallet does), and go to a dealer that sells that brand. Try the helmet on at the dealer and get the fit I need, then order that size online. It's a good idea to go ahead and measure your head too. Some of the descriptions online will also have the measurement of what sizes are, and you can match that up to your head size. Most importantly, check the return policy from where ever you buy.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:34 AM
Trailblazer
Full Time DAD!

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
Good point Rancher. And not all brands will fit the same as well. One brands medium may be another ones small or large.

Being cheap myself, I've bought a few helmets online. What I do, is find the brand that I like (and my wallet does), and go to a dealer that sells that brand. Try the helmet on at the dealer and get the fit I need, then order that size online. It's a good idea to go ahead and measure your head too. Some of the descriptions online will also have the measurement of what sizes are, and you can match that up to your head size. Most importantly, check the return policy from where ever you buy.
HAHA! Scooter, I've done the same thing. Best way to get the right fit for an affordable helmet.

Quick Reply: helmet help