General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Securing ATV at the cottage

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 07:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Securing ATV at the cottage

Hey folks,
first timer here. Lookin to buy 1st ATV for use at cottage. (ie. for work, fun). Only thing that concerns me is how best to secure it. I dont have trailer or truck at this point so was kinda thinking of getting it to cottage and leaving it there.

But how to lock it down? We have quite a bit of land so was thinkin of buiding a shed way back in the bush somewhere. Then put a U-lock of some kind sunk in concrete under the shed and chain it down. Get insurance too. Does this sound reasonable?? Any other ideas out there??

thx much!!
Sean

Old 09-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Range Rover

No matter what you do if someone has time and they want it they will get it.
THats risky being out there all by itself for long periods of time.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:23 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Get PLPD I live in Ontario and its $250 per year for only comprehensive, fire and theft. No matter what the ATV or year. When you ask for collision also then get the wallet out.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I would build a concrete bunker, sink chains and lock with big locks, and still have theft insurance. The fewer the people that know about the quad the better.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:14 PM
Range Rover

Where the heck do you live to need to go through all that? Around here I could park my Sportsman in the front lawn right on the highway key in it and leave for a week and it'd be right where I left when I got back!

I haven't done it, but what I have done is left my 3 snowmobiles in my front yard on the road with keys in them all and don't think anyone even gave them a passing glance.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

thx guys. What i do have working for me, is our place is on a private road (8 people on it) in the middle of the woods(quebec). I also have some fairly dense woods in which to hide it. Would be possible to find, but you'd need to know about it and then find it. I like the concrete bunker idea. Can you expand on that a bit Moose??

I've got the material for the shed coming this weekend ... need to put the concrete in the ground prior obviously. Was thinking cinder blocks, 2-3 high (2-3ft in the ground) filled with concrete and some kind of anchor ... ?

thx again.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by canada_guy
thx guys. What i do have working for me, is our place is on a private road (8 people on it) in the middle of the woods(quebec). I also have some fairly dense woods in which to hide it. Would be possible to find, but you'd need to know about it and then find it. I like the concrete bunker idea. Can you expand on that a bit Moose??

I've got the material for the shed coming this weekend ... need to put the concrete in the ground prior obviously. Was thinking cinder blocks, 2-3 high (2-3ft in the ground) filled with concrete and some kind of anchor ... ?

thx again.
My thought was to have a concrete form guy come out and make a concrete walled shed. Have him pour so that the concrete walls go up 6.5 to 7 feet above grade and put a regular sloped roof on top of that. For a door I'd go with a steel garage style door. They resist cutting but if someone were determined enough they can steal anything. If you dug a hole in the floor a couple feet deep and put a chain in it with a couple feet sticking out you'd have something to lock a good security cable to.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Luv the concrete wall idea .. just think it might be a little impractical given the remoteness of the site. Also, would rather not have even the concrete guy know about my spot.

Think I'll go with a big solid chain or some other anchor (guess I'll go and see whats available at the local shop) sunk under the wood floor and well into the ground. Cable to that, then buy the full-on insurance and hope I never need to use it ...

thx guys, cant wait to get the quad now!!

Old 10-02-2009, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chains can easily be cut, no matter what size they are. For about $300 at harbor freight or other similar stores, you can get one of these and cut through it in less than 5 minutes. Even though it is in a remote location, someone will probably stumble across it eventually.

Depending on what car you have, you can purchase a trailer hitch at U-haul or some other place like that for around $100. You can then purchase a used trailer for around $500-$600 from eBay or something. That will be cheaper than building any type of secure location or structure and much safer since you can bring it home with you.

Don't have a place to keep it at home, rent a storage unit big enough to store the atv on the trailer. Most of them are attended 24x7. They also have insurance there. I did this for 4 years while I had to live in an apartment. It cost about $100 per month in a big city.

Being out in the woods, you will have to worry about fire, theft, flooding, trees falling on it, rodents getting in and eating the seat (I know this one from experience), wind damage, and just the general poor conditions that it will be kept in an un-air-conditioned area.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Leaving it out in an isolated area is a double edged sword.

Fewer dirtbags, but also they would have plenty of time to defeat whatever lock system you choose, and they can use methods that make noise (like an abrasive cutoff wheel).

A once or twice used 20' steel shipping container isn't all that expensive. Many dealers offer putting on a hasp where the lock ends up inside the bottom of a steel box (so you can't get to it with bolt cutters).

Personally, somehow I'd feel more comfortable taking it home, but things can get ripped off from your own house just as easily as they can from out in the sticks.

Quick Reply: Securing ATV at the cottage