General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Need Help Quick, which one?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Quick, which one?

First off, im new to the board, and it looks to be very informative, which is good for a newbie like me. Anyways, I am looking into purchasing onea four wheeler. My main goals in having one is for trail riding, and mud riding occasionally. I am stuck between two four wheelers, and can not decide which ride is better, I want one that is reliable, and will allow me to go through a lot of trails and mud on occasion. Any opinions?

2004 Kodiak 400 4x4
2005 Kawasaki Prarie 700 4x4

The Kawasaki is $500 more.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:01 PM
Trailblazer

Do you have an opportunity to ride both? If so, ride them as close together as possible so you can compare better.

I think you will notice a huge difference in the power of the two. I have a Kawi BF 750 and am still amazed at the power in these machines. Mind you, a 400 is no slouch...

The other thing you have to look at is condition of the quads. Look closely at the bits not readily viewable. Take the seat off, look underneath, etc... You can tell a lot about how well I bike has been taken care of by looking under the skin. Anyone can clean up the plastics and wheels, etc... but if they are really junked up underneath and never cleaned, it won't come off in a quick 'time to sell it' cleaning. If someone cleans their bike after getting them dirty, stands to reason there may be better maintenance history too. Obviously that is not always the case, someone could be meticulous about the cleanliness and never change the oil...

But when you start looking under stuff, in stuff etc... if the owner gets real nervous and tries to steer you away from doing so, walk away quickly...

My two cents...take it for what its worth!!

Good Luck!

Old 10-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Unfortunatly the ones I am looking at are about 3 hours away, so I can not drive them side by side, or else I definitely would. I will be looking anywhere and everywhere I can when observing the bike, under the seat, I should just look to see if it is clean, maybe rust from water? Any other opinions?

Old 10-26-2009, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

I would think providing they are in about the same condition I would go with the more powerful and newer machine......but Im guessing this wont be the case.

Some people use, some people ABuse.....I would get detailed pictures of both before I turned a mile to go see them......you may find they are both pieces of poop.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Good idea. Can you tell me where all I should get them to take pictures before I travel to go see them, for example, underneath the seat.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:08 PM
Trailblazer

cv boots for sure, exhaust area, condition of tires, instrument panels maybe, stuff like that.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:50 PM
Trailblazer

I would ask for pics of the stuff God of Thunder suggested as well as suspension detail. Also ask for pics of any damaged areas.

When you get there, tug on the tires to check if the suspension and steering links or wheel bearings are still free of excessive slop.

A little surface rust in non-critical areas would not bother me. Corrosion at electrical connection (hard to see sometimes if you don't tear the thing down!!!) could cause problems down the road. But we also have have to remember that these are made to be rough and tumble off road machines. They won't ever be pristine!