General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Poor design! Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 11:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor design! Need help!

So a friend of mind recently purchased a TaoTao asian atv. Its a low quality bike but it does the trick for him. Its his first time riding and he wanted to start out small so he learns how to drive them. I knew they werent the best quality, but i never knew they were so poorly designed. Every time he rides in the rain or a little water. They airfilter takes in water and bogs the engine. The design was a little cup with a sponge in it, aimed down towards the tires all open. So it was horrible. So we desided to make a custome aluminum airbox and use some hoseing to attach a K&N air filter to the carb. Now considering its a 300cc loncin motor i assumed that i could use a K&N filter from a honda 300ex and just customize the tubing. So we did all that and everything looks great. Problem is we started it up and its not running the best. Engine runs well, air filter is taking in air. However, the exhaust is just back fireing and pushing out the air very hard. Now the exhaust is horrible as well. Its a small 3/4 inch piping wich leaves the back with only a small 1/2 inch pipeing. Could the exhaust itself be the issue. It seems that its having a hard time letting out all the exhaust fumes, and is holding the motor back. Would buying an after market slip on such as fmf or hmf resolve the issue. Were trying to do what ever we can to get this atv to run at its best. Not so its fast or powerful. But so it at least runs nice and is able to handle the terrain a real atv should. Any suggestions or addvice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.