General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

thoughts on cheap(er) winches

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you dont wann wish Orton luck???? Common now!!!!

Old 12-18-2009, 12:26 AM
Range Rover

Don't get us Bears fans started on the whole Orton/ Cutler thing. Damned if we do and damned if don't.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:10 AM
Trailblazer

My uncle was a pilot for United and his plane got hijacked once. Luckily they landed and arrested the guy before any one got hurt! Hope we all make it through this one!!

Old 12-18-2009, 09:13 AM
Trailblazer

They use winches in the NFL?????

HIJACKED!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-20-2009, 02:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

To answer the OP's concerns a bit.

Depends on what you plan on using the winch for. If it's just plowing and stretching fence then the cheap winches work well. I've gotten them for very low price from Harbor Freight, Northern Hydraulics and other such cut rate places. So far the winches I've broken have been my fault or failure of other stuff that messed them up. Good thing is the replacements are cheap and it's amazing how much stuff interchanges between the various "makes". One winch failed when the permanent magnets came loose. It was a simple matter to put the body of one of the "competitors" motors on the winch and make it good as new.

For the quad that goes to the mountains for a few days at a time and HAS to survive because I'm alone out there, well, it's got a Warn with a after market pendulum switch with about eight feet of wire on it. No relays or contactor to fail and enough lead to stand away from the machine while winching. Synthetic rope on the spool and extra rope in the box. Extra slime in the tires and all that sort of thing as well.

I don't see the purpose in tearing up a really good winch for mundane general use. Really good equipment is expensive and will wear out but the big thing is they are not bullet proof when it comes to hitting, or being hit by, fence posts or trees.

So, like I said at first, it depends on what your needs are and, I guess, how deep your pockets are.

Mike

Old 12-27-2009, 08:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ive had a warn winch on my Grizz was never apart we ride in water mud and such well that warn so called bullet proof winch didnt last a year Had to put a milemarker and have not had a problem since still got the warn I use it as a door stop in the shop !!!!!

Old 03-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by matstang
I almost went with a Gorilla until their customer service made me run away quickly. I know I've read all the posts on here about their excellent cs, but I certainly got the other side of it. Not going to get into it because I already wasted alot of time in dealing with them and don't intend to waste any more of it, but long story short, they lost 4 potential sales because of a $60 wireless winch control they would not stand behind... So, Superwinch got my business. $60.00!!!
Hi,

I am a Promark (Formerly Gorilla Winches) rep and I just want to let you know that our products are of excellent quality. We have the best customer service department that takes care of the customer as far as technical assistance, parts, questions, etc. We never leave you stranded and strive to keep you a satisfied customer in any way that we can. Unfortunately, I do not know what your issue was so I cannot speak for it; however, we would like to be given another try.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:17 PM
Trailblazer
Originally Posted by PromarkRep
Hi,

We have the best customer service department that takes care of the customer as far as technical assistance, parts, questions, etc.
Unfortunately his statement is correct. They just don't take care of the customer as far as WARRANTY concerns them!! It's funny that Promark cares to step up to the plate when it comes to a public/community forum whereas they will NOT do it when you talk to them over the phone in a one on one situation. I got shafted from Promark and don't intend to do business with them again. It was obvious to me that a $60 part was more important to them than keeping/gaining several customers! BUYER BEWARE!!!

Old 03-07-2010, 08:44 AM
Range Rover

If it isn't Warn or Ramsey it should stay in the box. I ride alone quite often and the price difference is pretty small when you are alone and stuck miles from civilization.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:53 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ain't none of'm gonna be cheap - they all gonna cost a bundle in the long run.

Oh, wait - you spelled that with an "i".

My bad - never mind....

Quick Reply: thoughts on cheap(er) winches