General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Brake Pad Types Explained?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 08:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake Pad Types Explained?

So, I am relatively new to the atv world, and need to replace my back brakes... they are non-existant!

What are the differences/pros/cons to the different types of pads? I have seen metallic, semi-metallic, carbon graphite, sintered metal, non-sintered metal... What does all of that mean in practical terms, other than price fluctuation?

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 12-29-2009, 08:52 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jwilliamson1987
So, I am relatively new to the atv world, and need to replace my back brakes... they are non-existant!

What are the differences/pros/cons to the different types of pads? I have seen metallic, semi-metallic, carbon graphite, sintered metal, non-sintered metal... What does all of that mean in practical terms, other than price fluctuation?

Thanks in advance!!!
Just like with cars they offer different materials. The difference mostly is that the more exotic (read more expensive) are often better at heat dissipation which means they will work better under stress and extreme heat. For racing this is a big deal, as brake fade is common.

Cheaper pads are usually fine for trail riding, especially in the rear.