General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Looking for input

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 05:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for input

Hey guys.
I own a manufacturing company in Milwaukee that is currently working on a high-end brake system for the performance ATV market, and we are wondering if any of the brake issues these guys have are seen from the general riding community. I don't expect it will be the same kit for both groups due to suspension and cost issues, but we are looking at doing a more economical kit that will increase stopping power, brake pad and rotor life, and reliability. Do you guys have any interest? Is braking a problem? Is there a specific brand that has crappier brakes than the other guys?

Any insight you have is appreciated. I've had some brake problems in the past, but I'm pretty darn picky about it, so it would be nice to get some other viewpoints.

Thanks!

Old 01-13-2010, 01:00 PM
Range Rover
Default Brake use

I ride a Suzuki LTR450 in the Deserts of California. I use my brakes as little as possible in the Mojave sand and rocks that I run in, I don't know of many that actually use a lot of brake in Desert riding I mainly down shift to slow down. About the only time I use my back brake is when I use the parking brake after putting the Sand Hog to sleep in the garage and I use my gears before I will use very little front/back break combo when desending steep hills as a last effort to slow down.

Brakes don't mix well in soft sand and loose gravel mixed with rocks that can cut tires like a knife.

Your idea might serve more for the UTV and Northern states Mud runner crowd than Quad Sport/Racer desert rats like myself.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default thanks

Sand Hog,
Understood. I don't know too much about running in sand, but that makes sense...Anything else you or your riding buddies are having a hard time getting, or unhappy with products for?

Thanks!

Old 01-18-2010, 07:34 PM
Trailblazer

Something that will last longer in mud and water for ATV's. We ride 4 wheelers on trails with mud and water, pretty harsh, seem to go through all brands during a season of riding, about a set a year. It atually seems like drum brakes last longer than disc sometimes. We have found one brake shop that will rebuild old pads, save some money but still go through the pads, with 5 ATVs that gets kinda high along with all the other stuff. Thanks for asking though.