General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

newbie to atvs

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 01:59 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well TLC good to see you are on you EFI sucks kick but when you spend $10.000 on any machine the least they can do is have EFI and now most have Power steering and if you have done more than just ride one with it you know it well worth the $$$$$ just like EFI!
EFI does not suck but its not worth $1500! Thats a no brainer. Its more your on efi is like jumping from a Lada to a Lexus kick.

To me if it has efi or not its fine, now if a ATV had no IRS and AWD system something you can actually real world notice then I would look else where.

I can even get Power steering option because at least you will notice the difference when riding immensely,not "sort of, I think" like EFI.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

As I have said time after time you ride different elevations and ride in a bunch of different temp changes EFI become a priceless advantage over a carb. There is not one thing a carb does better than a EFI other than being cheaper at initial purchase and that and that is only a matter how much it is worth to you!!!

Old 01-21-2010, 04:14 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Originally Posted by TLC
The New ATV here drops $1000 once you sign the dotted line. I know a girl who won a new 660 Grizzly in a draw and had to sell it for $1500 less then it sells at the dealership and she never drove it, In Ontario you only pay 8% PST tax on used ATV while new is pst+GST 16%. The Warranties are only 6 months up here and run out while they are sitting in a garage usually.

A good price on a new 500 OTD in Ontario is close to $8500 while a low milage great condition 500 is $5000-$6000.
WOW! I've heard everything costs more up north, but that just seems insane to me. I could go pick up an 850xp with eps and winch for $9000 Makes me wonder if you could come down and buy one and take it back or would they tax you to death and throw all kinds of red tape in the way.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by readymixer169
WOW! I've heard everything costs more up north, but that just seems insane to me. I could go pick up an 850xp with eps and winch for $9000 Makes me wonder if you could come down and buy one and take it back or would they tax you to death and throw all kinds of red tape in the way.
Yes they would. I live just a few minutes from the Canadian border, it would not be worth the headache to buy one here and ship it across the bridge. GST would be ridiculous.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:38 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with TLC that every ATV on the trail is used. If it were me, I would buy used and use the saved money to buy accessories. But, I sure am glad that SOMEONE buys new or I wouldn't have the opportunity to buy used. You have to find out why they are selling and be good at looking it over. Bring an expert and buy him dinner. It's worth it. I've never bought a new ATV, car, boat, house or anything but food and clothes and have always been happy with my decision.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:45 AM
Trailblazer

efi is just one more computer controlled electronic "widgit" to all of a sudden stop working because some dumb sensor told it to. i'll pass on anything computer controlled that probably gets dunked underwater.

i just purchased a new sportsman 500ho carb, and love it.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:00 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by readymixer169
I live on a Border town Sault Ontario is just across the river from Sault Michigan, there are people who buy things in the States and resell in Canada. With our Canadian dollar at 95 cents U.S, its worth it.

A friend of mine saves $2000 on a New Honda 420 Rancher by buying in the states even after Duty and taxes were added.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Range Rover
Cool

Welcome aboard,enjoy,great folks here!!

Old 01-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Trailblazer

I understand your concern on buying used in regards to the history of the ATV. IMO if you have time to spend looking, you can find excellent used machines out in the market. You can learn alot by looking at the units and talking with the owner regrading his or her riding style and type of terrain they ride on. How does the machine look; scratched, dirty, damaged, stored inside or outside, miles, hours, modifications, etc. Many people purchase sleds, ATV's, motorcycles with the thought that they are going to use them. Things change and they don't have time, move, need to money, etc. They then sell them. Some feel they can sell them for close to what they bought them for and soon realize that's not the case most of the time.

As someone posted earlier, their value drops as soon as it leaves the dealership floor. Depending on what someone pays initially can be seen in what they are trying to resell it for. If someone was able to get a really good deal when they purchased new, that may be reflected in the resell price. Unfortunately I hear too often that people pay way too much up front when they purchase new and aren't able to suffer a huge loss when the go to sell. You can find dealers that are motiviated to part from thier previous model year units. Some get really aggressive and wave the silly fees; dealer handling, set-up, freight.

EFI vs. Carb in Colorado shows that the ATV Carb units are very difficult to sell and therefore are priced quite a bit less. I did own a SP700 H.O. and at the time lived at 10,700 above sea level. It was kept under a second story deck. No real issues. Occasionally a bit slugglish when starting in really cold temps.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

Im not saying as a beginner that a 500cc machine is to much.....but there are plenty of capable smaller machines that would be great beginner quads. You may ride this thing a few times and decide its not for you....that would suck if you have a $8K quad setting there.

I recently bought a 2001 Suzuki 300cc King Quad. It has a winch, snow plow and new ITP Mud Lites all the way around it. Has 1600 miles on it and runs pretty darn good. Price was $1500......now THATS a beginner quad.

Actually this is my 5th quad....despite being a big guy at 315lbs I would much rather be ridding a smaller machine on the trails then something the size of a compact car.....quads are getting ridiculous big these days.

None the less, the machine does everything I want.......even though Im not a beginner.

Quick Reply: newbie to atvs