General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Tires/Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 09:30 PM
RNT
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires/Wheels

Hi all,
Just joined this site and you guys are great!! I have learned so much in so little time.

Here is my question I bought a Yamaha 250 Big Bear and it has the following tire sizes on it:

Front - AT22 x 7-10
Rear- AT22 x 10-10

Not knowing jack crap about ATV Tires and Wheels, can I increase the wheel size? If so, what size would you recommend for general off road activity (trail riding etc)

Thanks

Old 02-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Trailblazer

Hey RNT, Im by no means an expert in this but here's my experince, some of the guys here can certinally tell you more than I can. I replace the tires on my honda from 24 to 26 inch, stock to IPT mud lights, gain at least 2 inches and much better traction, did not have to replace the wheels, too cheap. Doing the same with my wifes polaries, dont need the high dollar wheels just better grip in the mud. So my experince is talk to a tire dealer and they can guide you, it can be done. One thing though, some aggressive tires can rub the fenders when you turn one way or the other. Its different by models, ask your dealer then shop for price, good luck.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:02 PM
RNT
Weekend Warrior

Dugger,
Awesome advice. I am just getting into the whole "quad world". I noticed my ground clearance sucks, and I was thinking about getting a little bit higher. I too am cheap, so if I can use stock rims to do this I am all for it!!

Can anyone tell me what a good inch increase would be?

Thanks

Old 02-07-2010, 09:24 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

remember the bigger the tire the more weight and more power is taken away. for example: If you go from 24" to a 25" you will gain half an inch of ground clearance. 24" to a 26" and you will gain 1". This does depend on what tire you get though. some will measure bigger and some with measure smaller. itp tires tend to be smaller in size. I had 27" 589s and they actually measure 26". i now have 28" swamplites and they measure 28" ,just depends. with a 250,i personally would not go any bigger than 1" over stock. You could possibly get away wth a 24" tire though,up to you if you wanna try it. The other thing is that if you ride rough,rocky,narly trails or terrain, a 6 ply tire would be a better choice. im not sure if there are 22 or 23" tires that are 6 ply though. 6 ply tends to help in hanling also as it has a stiff sidewall and the tire wont roll under the rim when in off camber situations.