General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Dad wont let me.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dad wont let me.

Hello everyone, I'm new to your board so Hi. Anyways I'm new to the sport of ATVs and I'm looking to buy a TRX 400 EX , but it has a big bore kit so its a 440. And my dad said " As long as your living in my house your not buying that 'Death - Machine' " Now I understand that he's concerned about my safety , But I mean I can finally buy one with my own money and I have around 15-20 freinds that have/race Dirtbikes and Quads, I've used ATVs before and I know how to ride can you guys maybe help me pursade him?

Old 04-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buy a helmet and gloves, that way it shows him you want to be safe, plus since you invested in that stuff, then you would need to complete the deal with the quad.

or ask your mom instead!

Old 04-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Tell him you will take up the sport in Drug Dealing instead LOL (JK) Good luck in your persuasion!!!

Old 04-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Range Rover

/cross fingers
Dont worry dad it has a governor on it and it can't go more than 40 mph...

Old 04-02-2010, 01:27 PM
2 strokes or 4

Welcome to the forum, and tell him look at least it's not a 3wheeler

Old 04-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by HondaMan16
Hello everyone, I'm new to your board so Hi. Anyways I'm new to the sport of ATVs and I'm looking to buy a TRX 400 EX , but it has a big bore kit so its a 440. And my dad said " As long as your living in my house your not buying that 'Death - Machine' " Now I understand that he's concerned about my safety , But I mean I can finally buy one with my own money and I have around 15-20 freinds that have/race Dirtbikes and Quads, I've used ATVs before and I know how to ride can you guys maybe help me pursade him?
Ask him to go over your "ATV budget" with you. Show him that your going to spend good money on decent gear - helmet, goggles, padded pants/jersey, gloves etc. Find and schedule a ATV class - in my area they run them often and cost $35.

If that dont work your next best bet is to suck it up and lower your expectations on the quad dept. Would you rather not own an ATV or maybe ride a 300ex....or hell even a 250ex beats nothing. Its not ideal but a lesser machine might mean you get to ride.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Range Rover
Default Tough road ahead

Oh boy... Sounds to me like it's not a bore issue, more of a quad issue. Much more difficult, unless I am wrong on that guess, just going on the quote thing.

Look young dude, it is YOUR scratch right. Just bear in mind, and I'm not sure how old you are, that you will need a car soon (you may already have this covered so...). If the scratch is really in the clear, you have some serious negotiating space. Like others have said, be clear about being safe (like you would in "other" discussions with the old man) at some point we have to trust our kids to make good decisions. It will be tough for me on the other side of this discussion, but you are already riding right, just not on your own machine. Mastery equals safety (and yes, sometimes stupid risk, and that equals advanced mastery?). Look young bro, this is tough sledding, but if you can really seriosly afford the machine on your own and you demonstrate a committment to safety, you may just need to do the deal. Then, ride with safety first. Really. You will never show them a bruise or cut, and that's cool, I did it, but you NEED to be sure to avoid the big ugly. If someone says, "so why are you affrraid of the BIG jump" you need to have the ***** to say, because I don't want to get broken to the ER level if I "miss or mess up." Sorry. That is the jack. Be careful, take a stand, it's your $, but don't F-up!!!!!!!!!!!!

Life is an interesting thing. If riding is your thing, like theater is for my girl, then you have to be who you are. Don't be angry with the folks, even if they are way up your... it is really because they they don't want you to get busted up with big ugly injuries like head trauma. If it is what YOU DO then you must do it. Just be careful. Love them for caring. Especially when it's hard to.

Some day (if you are lucky) you will know what it feels like to care more about someone else and their safety and well-being than your own. We are more affraid than you are, hell we are older and we have spent so much energy, love and yes, money, on you...

Dude, see if you can convince your dad to ride with you? Or mom. Or bro or sis? As you wrangle your way clear of us all we want nothing more than to have just a spit here or there of real quality time with y'all. We don't even want to talk about serious stuff, believe it or not, we just want to connect and maybe talk about shocks or lures or snacks or your annoying cousins once removed?

LOL.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:46 AM
Range Rover

You may have to just do it the way I did. I heard the same speech you did when I was young. So I just had to eat it till I moved out of my parents house (at 17). So here I am now at 36 and with 3 kids. So what do I do? Went out and bought quads for myself, my better-half, and my kids. Now we all can ride together and my kids can learn to ride the "right" way. It really sux having to borrow a buddies ride cuz you ain't got your own but good things come to those who wait. Or you could just buy it and store it at your friends house. (But you didn't hear that from me )

Old 04-03-2010, 08:41 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

It was the opposite for me, my mom said no,even when i asked every christmas. so i asked my dad, next thing i know ive got a yamaha 250 dirt bike sittin in front of me and it wasn't even christmas. I think it was just the fact that my parents were divorced and my dad just wanted to **** my mom off. Either way, i was happy and now 15 years and 3 four wheelers later im here riding with my daughter(my mom dont like that,but the younger the better they learn) and my wife enjoying ourselves. If you do end up getting one just remember to protect your body,you dont want your dad to prove YOU wrong.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:03 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Gotten the "If all your friends jumped off a bridge" speech yet?

Maybe, they are just concerned about you starting out on a quad too powerful for you. Maybe you could talk them into a compromise. Check for a 300ex. Still a good machine. Try to get one stock so it's not lould. Try to get your dad to look at a few machines he might be interested in. Mention places you could both ride and camp together. The kicker, mention you won't be living there forever, so maybe a few good times together would be nice memories for later.

Whatever you do, don't turn it into an argument.

Good luck!