General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

vegetable oil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 09:41 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vegetable oil?

Speaking of oil, I have used full synthetic in my small engine 2 strokes for years and I have been very happy with them. But just to consider, yesterday someone told me about vegetable based 2 stroke oil. They said it workede great, kind of expensive but as good as any other oil out there. Not much more expensive than the synthetics though? Anyone heard of this and used these products? Pros and cons?

Old 04-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

Interesting. I would want to know that one too.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Trailblazer

I would guess these veggie oils are another shot at the ever growing market of "green" things.

But aren't conventional oils plenty "green"? They come from things thousands of years old.

I didn't know veggies were being used as a base in oils. But I saw an episode of How It's Made where they were making (mmmmmmmmmmmmm) pre-cooked/packaged bacon. They said the oil dripping off the cooking racks where used in synthetic oils.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Trailblazer

that's very interesting. i would like to know more about that. i saw some years back this video where this dude made his own fuel for his car. but i never heard of vegetable based oil. thats cool.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:43 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

I'd have to say that a veggie based oil would'nt be bad as long as it treated properly during manufacturing. It's actually a very good lubricant but there is a dark side. I've found from making my own diesel fuel that if the oil is not processed properly that it can become gummy when subjected to heat which would be bad for an engine. Another bad is that it can break down over time and form a slimey algae. And the reason it costs as much as a synthetic is because, processing the veggie properly is costly. With the current prices of diesel it's not worth my time to make my own but when at $4-5 a gallon it's a big money saver. There are so many applications for veggie it might surprise you, but as long as the crude is relatively cheap I doubt you'll see alot of it out there. I'm sure the oil your talking about is fine for engine use but beware if it sound to good to be true. We're still taking baby steps as we get away from crude oil and many Bio products out have'nt been tested tried and true.