General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Big bore kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010 | 10:42 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Big bore kit?

Ive found a coulpe sites on them but was wondering how much gain u would get taking say a cat 400 and putting the 581 kit on. Are there reliability issues? Im just looking around for a quad now and am wanting something bigger but they all seem out of my price range. Help!

Old 04-11-2010 | 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

Life gets tricky once you start messing with that stuff. If you live in an area where the temp stays consistent you will have less problems. Put a big bore kit in and then you have to look at jetting(if carb) or efi controller. Jetting sucks because then they are more tempermental to temp/elevation changes and really need to do your homework dialing in with an efi controller. Used to run into this problem a lot building hot rods. Someone wouldn't listen and spend mega $ on engine mods without seeing what worked best together and ended up with a crappy running motor. Then come to me and freak because they would have to spend more to get it right(told them they should have come to me in the first place-lol). Any good aftermaket big bore kits should have a dyno sheet and suggested list of what you will need to make it work right. Had a buddy get ripped off on one of those "performance" chips on ebay-total scam. Told him if it was that easy to make 15-20 extra hp the factories would do it. Bottom line is do your homework before ordering a kit!