General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Do used quads = A Money Pit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010 | 10:50 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by budedm
I always buy used. I look at it this way: "Every single quad you see on the trail is used." I look at used cars the same way.
Same here, I bought a mint 2005 F-150 with only 13,000 miles a few years ago, it was $10,000 less than a new one. Some poor guy payed $10,000 just to drive a truck for 13,000 miles. Thats just nuts to me.

Old 04-27-2010 | 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

Same here, I bought a mint 2005 F-150 with only 13,000 miles a few years ago, it was $10,000 less than a new one. Some poor guy payed $10,000 just to drive a truck for 13,000 miles. Thats just nuts to me.

Yep. But I sure am glad SOMEONE buys new stuff or I wouldn't be able to buy the used stuff. I'm glad someone is willing to take the hit.

Old 04-27-2010 | 11:13 AM
Trailblazer
Default my used Honda 420

i bought a used honda 420 rancher from a neighbor, who had used it in his lawn/snow business for a year. I knew he took good care of this/regular maintenance by the local dealer, so i was pretty confident it was a good deal. He threw in a couple of snow blades/mount with the package. I've used it sparingly but hard in past year - wouldn't justify a new machine to me but a good used one is perfect.
like other used motors, i prefer to buy one where i know the owners/care they gave to it. i wouldn't buy new for most of my toys (boat, cycle, atv...)

Old 05-03-2010 | 03:48 PM
|
Trailblazer

Interesting stuff. Sounds like I'd buy a used "anything" from any one of you guys. Sounds like everyone that has responded takes the time to find that good used quad or good used whatever. AND, sounds like everyone that has responded takes care of their stuff, as I do.

I think aaronkelly said "when I sell stuff it goes quick, people know I take care of my stuff."

I'm in the same boat, never have had a problem selling anything. Just wish there were more of "us" out there.

Now...where are the people willing to own up to buying a money pit? I know you're out there.

Old 05-03-2010 | 07:00 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

I'll own up to having a brother-n-law who buys money pits on a regular basis. Whether it be cars, trucks, atvs, or motorcycles. He almost always asks me to come along to take a look at something. When I give him the disapproving head shake , what does he do? He buys it! (a little bit of a gotta have it now guy) If I charged him for all my time helping him fix stuff, I could afford to go out and buy brand new. As for me I'm pretty tight with wallet until I find exactly what I'm lookin for. Only got burned once with my 07 sp500. Everything was near perfect on the machine except I didn't catch the stator shorting out causing a overcharge issue, which cost $450. Still after the repair it's worth $1000 more than I got in it. (according to blue book)

Old 05-05-2010 | 02:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Buyer Beware

Just be picky when buying used, if you wait, a good one will come along.
All ATV's if driven will wear items. nature of the beast, just be picky and dont buy first one you see.

Old 05-05-2010 | 05:10 PM
Range Rover

I will only buy new. you never know how badly they have been torn up. Buying a used quad is like buying any used car or a pre-owned house..there are too many out there that will doctor up a house to look good and doctor a vehicle to run and look like its new for maybe maybe a week before it falls apart. There are lots of good used ATV's out there; however, I'm not trusting my life in the Mojave Desert that the person that just sold me my quad was telling the truth..

Bottom line for my money the only way I would buy used is to buy it from a dealer and never trust the backyard salesman

Old 05-06-2010 | 03:49 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Sand Hog
I will only buy new. you never know how badly they have been torn up. Buying a used quad is like buying any used car or a pre-owned house..there are too many out there that will doctor up a house to look good and doctor a vehicle to run and look like its new for maybe maybe a week before it falls apart. There are lots of good used ATV's out there; however, I'm not trusting my life in the Mojave Desert that the person that just sold me my quad was telling the truth..

Bottom line for my money the only way I would buy used is to buy it from a dealer and never trust the backyard salesman
sounds like you've been burned a few times or something?
there are always telltale signs no matter how doctored up something is, just need to know what to look for.

Old 05-08-2010 | 08:37 AM
Range Rover

It's not that I have been burned by a bad bike or anything like that..The wife and I ride the Mojave Desert which is one of the harshest and most unforgiving places to ride you can find. I'm not willing to trust our lives to a used quad that may or may not have been a good deal. Its for that reason alone that I will only buy new and all maintenance is done at the dealership where we bought the bikes at.
If I was living up in the northern part of the US where there is lots of water and trees and where the summers don't get to +125 degrees by noon I may think about a used bike; however, we have no plans to move from the Mojave Desert any time soon.

I understand that not everyone is in the financial position to drop 8k on a new quad and then spent another Grand on tires and rims like I did;however, I do some pretty extreme riding and many times I'm riding solo as do most desert racers on the 25 mile plus car and quad killing desert racing tracks so quite literally every time I pull my Racing Quad from the garage I place my life into its hands and that is something I will not do with a used machine no matter how well cared for the seller might say it is. If your not doing the extreme riding or have no problem with fixing the bike all the time the used bike is most likely a very good option and I say more power to you, but if your not into the heart pounding extreme riding like I am or your a cherry rider just getting into the sport a used bike is not a good choice.

Only in my opinion if your a cherry rider just getting started in the sport stay off the big 400cc plus sized racing machines until you learn how to ride as they are big powerfull death machines for a novice rider, and for God sake wear all of the safety gear (riding clothing, offroad helmet, gloves, goggles, high boots and body armor)..

there are far more good used bikes out there than bad bikes. My advice is to be very careful when looking at the used bikes and take nothing for granted.

Old 05-08-2010 | 05:15 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by Sand Hog

You only buy new built houses? Are you serious? Let the guinea pigs take manchines from the show room floor then buy it off them foe 20-50 % cheaper after that.

PS. used house go up in price from my experiences.

Quick Reply: Do used quads = A Money Pit?