General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Quad for a tall guy

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm willing to spend $1500, more if its a deal. At this point I'm just trying to find something I will fit on comfortably. I also would like it to do sand which is why I'm still checking out that 660.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Time_Bandit
I'm willing to spend $1500, more if its a deal. At this point I'm just trying to find something I will fit on comfortably. I also would like it to do sand which is why I'm still checking out that 660.
Please don't take this wrong but if your a novice rider the 660 is way to much bike for you to start on.

But it's your decision to make.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 660 is preferable in sand, but SandHog has a valid point, it is a bit of a handful. A lot of people have started out on a 660 or something even more powerful, you need to keep your head about you and ride well within your limits. Keep an eye out for a DS650. Open class power, one of the ultimate dune machines, they were made for "American" sized men, great stock suspension, pretty reliable, and you should be able to find them within your budget. In reality. you are going to have fun with whatever you get. All of these could be a cheap stepping stone, and if you really get into riding I am sure you will be looking for a newer ride sooner or later. Heck, I would get a second job to finance another machine, but it would cut to much into my current ride time.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've been riding bikes since I was a kid but I know what your saying, I'm sure it wont be a whole ton different.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:04 PM
Range Rover

Ditto. Riding bikes since I was young, with a long-ish break for some adulthood. I'm back! BUT, it is a ton different. Please take lots of time getting familiar with the machine, especially a big bore. As I said, I ride a big quad with a middle-class 450 engine (Suzuki KQ 450). What an adjustment. What I knew in my bones had a much larger learning curve than I expected. Definately a bike with 4 wheels and not a car with handlebars, but very, very different in every way. The leverage and "pull" (for lack of a better term) are totally different, hence the thumb throttle. Hard to explain accurately, but you don't ride so much using your weight "knees" (bike like riding a horse) to control the vehicle. Be careful and be slow and learn. I was humbled initially, much more than I am comfortable admitting. Could have easily transitioned to a street bike. The quad is so unique.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:46 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by PBLsQuad450
Ditto. Riding bikes since I was young, with a long-ish break for some adulthood. I'm back! BUT, it is a ton different. Please take lots of time getting familiar with the machine, especially a big bore. As I said, I ride a big quad with a middle-class 450 engine (Suzuki KQ 450). What an adjustment. What I knew in my bones had a much larger learning curve than I expected. Definately a bike with 4 wheels and not a car with handlebars, but very, very different in every way. The leverage and "pull" (for lack of a better term) are totally different, hence the thumb throttle. Hard to explain accurately, but you don't ride so much using your weight "knees" (bike like riding a horse) to control the vehicle. Be careful and be slow and learn. I was humbled initially, much more than I am comfortable admitting. Could have easily transitioned to a street bike. The quad is so unique.
You hit the nail on the head..Everyone thinks "I ride a dirt bike I can ride a quad" they soon learn the error of their ways, normally after they pick themselves up off the ground or get out of the hospital..

Old 01-08-2012, 03:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

You should be looking for a Utility ATV.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The DS650 is great for the larger person.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:04 AM
Trailblazer
Default 660 raptor?

I was at a freinds house to get my 98 warrior, (his dads a mechanic) and I asked about the raptor, he said to NEVER buy one. The warrior I got now has been nothing but problems. And he said the 660 raptor was gunna be the same thing except parts are 2x as much

Old 05-21-2012, 12:50 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just my

like moose & bio said- there are not many sport quads that won't feel cramped to a 6'+ person. The kawi 700 & ds 650 sport quads are probably one of the largest sport quads out there.
Honestly- I've been riding atv's for 20+ years- owned tons of the 400 ex's. been riding big bore utility 4x4 atv's the last 6 or 7 years- and I could never go back for many reasons.
I'm only 5'10" and when I sit on a 400 ex I feel like I'm on a tricycle- my knees are bent way up- I can't stand and hold the bars without hunching over- it's a very uncomfortable quad to me- I honestly don't know I rode one for so many years.

you really need to buy a big bore sport utility 4x4- something over 500 / 600cc. you'll be very comfortable and they all have tons of power.

but- you're only looking to spend $1500.... you'd be lucky to find a semi-beat up 400 ex sport for that price range.

the "low-end" bigbores start at around $4500 used-
2006 - 08 outlanders start used around $5500-$7000 and the rest are around the same. You might find an 05 / 06 bruteforce 750 for $4k or an 05 KQ700 for around the same...

the 2005+ high end 4x4 bigbore utes have all gotten pretty large and very powerful- atv's built for adults. But not cheap.

Quick Reply: Quad for a tall guy