General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

ATV Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh man, that's brutal. Glad you are OK! Makes a great case for goggles right? The moto has the extended lower frontal and goggles instead of the visor so there it is. 3 Popo's has answered this post all right. Maybe I need 2 helmets, one for ute work and one for riding for fun?

Old 06-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by 3_Polaris_ATVs
I was using a motorcycle helmet 7 years ago. I was on an overgrown trail and a small branch flipped my visor open and stuck in between my eye and socket. I got lucky. No damage.
And that is why I use the Moto full face helmet with visor and goggles. all you see after the goggles are in place is a small part of the bridge of my nose, if you duck your head down the visor takes the hit instead of your face. Took a 3/4" rock into my goggles on a trail ride (Traveling about 35+mph down a gravel road) other than startling the crap out of me and making my eyes water for a few minutes the rock just bounced off the goggles with no harm done.

Street MC helmet face shields are to brittle and won't hold up well with a really hard rock hit or even worse taking a header in the rocks to try to dig the grand canyon with your face as you slide down the gravel road, the softer compound off road riding goggles helps them fit into the helmet and the helmet takes the road rash instead of a sheet of brittle plastic.

If street MC helmets were all the rage then you would see all the Moto riders wearing them for racing, only an opinion here but you NEVER see a Moto racer wearing a Street helmet or an open faced 3/4 coverage helmet for valid reason so why would any offroad rider gamble with their lives wearing a helmet not made for what they are doing..

Just an opinion its a free country to wear whatever you want..You don't see a MC helmet very often in the desert

Old 06-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Sand Hog
<snip>

If street MC helmets were all the rage then you would see all the Moto riders wearing them for racing, only an opinion here but you NEVER see a Moto racer wearing a Street helmet or an open faced 3/4 coverage helmet for valid reason so why would any offroad rider gamble with their lives wearing a helmet not made for what they are doing..

<snip>
That was my thinking on getting a moto helmet over an full face/street helmet. If the professionals wear them while they are jumping through the air and taking big spills when they mess up there must be a reason.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Range Rover

Messed up my terminology. I meant "used an upper half face shield" as opposed to visor. I get the difference, please excuse my hockey player younger days, we called the upper half clear plexi things visors around here. The rest of us wore "cages." I use a 3" visor above my goggles, but Sandhog, you are fast becoming my Yoda, I am going to get a full face moto for fun riding. I'll use the open face still, but just for working, and if that gets intense I'll switch. I am "fun" riding in heavy woods, with close brush and tight turns. Some open space, but mostly maze work. Thanks all!!

Old 06-12-2010, 08:01 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by PBLsQuad450
Messed up my terminology. I meant "used an upper half face shield" as opposed to visor. I get the difference, please excuse my hockey player younger days, we called the upper half clear plexi things visors around here. The rest of us wore "cages." I use a 3" visor above my goggles, but Sandhog, you are fast becoming my Yoda, I am going to get a full face moto for fun riding. I'll use the open face still, but just for working, and if that gets intense I'll switch. I am "fun" riding in heavy woods, with close brush and tight turns. Some open space, but mostly maze work. Thanks all!!
Cool I'm happy you will get a good helmet for fun riding.

Just me though I won't half do the safety equipment we have for riding here in the Mojave Desert, and I won't ride with anyone who is not wearing proper safety equipment, everything we wear when we are on the quads is made for being in the sand and rocks, including cell phones, survival kits, first aid kits (I'm also EMT trained), tow straps, Moto boots, Moto pants, Moto shirts, Racing upper body armor, gloves and the proper Snell/DOT racing helmet and goggles. I went to Military Camelbaks for our riding water because unlike the civilian versions of the Camelbak they are built to take abuse and ours have mini packs on them to carry stuff, the drinking tubes are covered and have an on/off switch so your water won't leak and the mouth ends are capped so you don't get a mouth full of dirt when your trying to get a mouth full of water.

I got my Suzuki LTR450 Quad Racer for a reason and then modified it for a reason, I do a lot of solo riding into the desert onto the Quad killing, sand rail bending, full size racing vehicle swallowing "Off Road" desert racing tracks ( premier off road 20mi plus racing loops like the ones you see on ESPN) about 4mi from the house and I just don't want myself or anyone else I ride with to be on the next "Life Flight" out of the desert because we took short cuts in our safety equipment.

The quads are expendable if need be the human life riding them is not.

Accidents happen, they have happened to us and both the wife and I have been injured out there but the gear worked and we drove back home to lick our wounds and ride another day, and any off road rider will be the first to say **** Happens; however, there is no excuse for stupidity and explaining an injury that could have been avoided with the proper safety gear in place.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I only wear an offroad full face helmet and goggles when I ride. It may hurt the wallet, but if you are concerned about cooling go with a quality, name brand helmet. I was using the $60-75.00 off brands for years until I started racing. I was always hot and uncomfortable and the goggles always pinched my nose and made it hard to breathe. I picked up a Fox V3 and what a difference!! The goggles no longer interfere with my breathing, and the helmet is way lighter and cooler. On a side note, the is also a company that sells the goggle "Quick Strap" I used one of those for a while with the cheap helmet. They are nice if you don't like the pressure goggs put on your face, but need the protection. Also makes it a snap to get them on and off if you are using the machine for work or frequently stopping along the trail.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:30 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Scooter86
I only wear an offroad full face helmet and goggles when I ride. It may hurt the wallet, but if you are concerned about cooling go with a quality, name brand helmet. I was using the $60-75.00 off brands for years until I started racing. I was always hot and uncomfortable and the goggles always pinched my nose and made it hard to breathe. I picked up a Fox V3 and what a difference!! The goggles no longer interfere with my breathing, and the helmet is way lighter and cooler. On a side note, the is also a company that sells the goggle "Quick Strap" I used one of those for a while with the cheap helmet. They are nice if you don't like the pressure goggs put on your face, but need the protection. Also makes it a snap to get them on and off if you are using the machine for work or frequently stopping along the trail.
I hear ya I would rather have the wallet hurt buying a helmet and goggles rather than have the wallet hurt from medical bills...

Current helmet is a desert racing class Shift "Agent" with both Snell and DOT rating along with "Scott" goggles because they fit over my glasses with a smoked lens that is worn over my polarized perscription "Ray-Ban" sun glasses.