General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

10w-40 -OR- 20w-50 [OIL]

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 10w-40 -OR- 20w-50 [OIL]

So my 1986 machine says run 20w-40 which is really hard to find. I'm not sure if the lower number is cold or hot. But I was told to run 20w-50 which I am and that is 10 off then I was told someone uses 10w-40 which is ALSO 10 off. I don't ride during the winter I live in MA so which do I use? Either way it's gotta be synthetic

Old 09-17-2010, 12:38 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Heres How oil works. HowStuffWorks "What does the weight mean on a can of motor oil?"

Multi-weight oils (such as 10W-30) are a new invention made possible by adding polymers to oil. The polymers allow the oil to have different weights at different temperatures. The first number indicates the viscosity of the oil at a cold temperature, while the second number indicates the viscosity at operating temperature. This page from the Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ offers the following very interesting description of how the polymers work:

At cold temperatures, the polymers are coiled up and allow the oil to flow as their low numbers indicate. As the oil warms up, the polymers begin to unwind into long chains that prevent the oil from thinning as much as it normally would. The result is that at 100 degrees C, the oil has thinned only as much as the higher viscosity number indicates. Another way of looking at multi-vis oils is to think of a 20W-50 as a 20 weight oil that will not thin more than a 50 weight would when hot.
Thats why most all motorcycle grade synthetic oils are 0W-40, you get the quicker flow on cold starts and its a 40 weight once up to operating temp.

Amsoil one of the best synthetic motorcycle oils out there,only comes in 0w-40 from what I have seen.

I just can see would would want a thick 20W weight oil on start ups even if you live in a hot climate.

0w-40 and 20w-40 behave the same once the engine is warmed up, but on a cold start on a cold day 20w-40 is more like honey.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TLC
Heres How oil works. HowStuffWorks "What does the weight mean on a can of motor oil?"

Thats why most all motorcycle grade synthetic oils are 0W-40, you get the quicker flow on cold starts and its a 40 weight once up to operating temp.

Amsoil one of the best synthetic motorcycle oils out there,only comes in 0w-40 from what I have seen.

I just can see would would want a thick 20W weight oil on start ups even if you live in a hot climate.

0w-40 and 20w-40 behave the same once the engine is warmed up, but on a cold start on a cold day 20w-40 is more like honey.
Thank you for that explanation! So the second number is always the hot weight? I will look into the oil tonight and see what I can't locate for Amsoil. Does ANYONE make synthetic mix oil for the gas? I'm having a hard time locating some.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:28 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

You mean synthetic 2 stroke oil pre mix, most 2 stroke motocross bikes use synthetic oil only, Bel Ray makes it and I think the Honda 2 stroke oil is only synthetic. I m sure there's many more.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TLC
You mean synthetic 2 stroke oil pre mix, most 2 stroke motocross bikes use synthetic oil only, Bel Ray makes it and I think the Honda 2 stroke oil is only synthetic. I m sure there's many more.
I use "SuperTECH" premix oil from Walmart you squeeze the oil to the top and it fills a measuring cup built into the bottle. I think its crap though, if I am buying brand name fully synthetic mix oil I would rather buy it by the gallon or mass quantity I **** through a quart a week between me and my brothers 2 strokes.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:51 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by PinkFloydEffect
So my 1986 machine says run 20w-40 which is really hard to find. I'm not sure if the lower number is cold or hot. But I was told to run 20w-50 which I am and that is 10 off then I was told someone uses 10w-40 which is ALSO 10 off. I don't ride during the winter I live in MA so which do I use? Either way it's gotta be synthetic
I use Suzuki Factory 20w -40 in all of our machines. Synthetic oil will never touch any engine I own they are to prone to breaking down and damaging engines. 20w - 40 oil is not that hard to find try going to a MC shop instead of Walmart. Your right it may be a little thick at start up but it holds its hot temp properties alot better. I'm not worried about the cold start that is why you run up your machine for 5 - 10 min before you yank the throttle open I want the oil to hold up when the engines are up to running temp that way my so called "High Strung" 450cc engine is not stressed out trying to go warp speed when its cold.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:32 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Except for price conventional oil is just inferior. Side-by-side comparison of synthetic vs conventional Mineral / Petrolium oil. See how oils compared to each other.

Motor oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Synthetic Oil Vs Regular Oil

http://www.torontocivics.com/f54/eng...-facts-170327/

http://www.samarins.com/maintenance/...html#synthetic

Those are just a few from hundreds if you google the topic. If you find a link favoring conventional oil or even blends over synthetic let us see it. That would be as rare as a Itialian war hero.

I know people run conventional and get thousands of miles but why not run synthetic and get a few more thousand.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Sand Hog
I use Suzuki Factory 20w -40 in all of our machines. Synthetic oil will never touch any engine I own they are to prone to breaking down and damaging engines. 20w - 40 oil is not that hard to find try going to a MC shop instead of Walmart. Your right it may be a little thick at start up but it holds its hot temp properties alot better. I'm not worried about the cold start that is why you run up your machine for 5 - 10 min before you yank the throttle open I want the oil to hold up when the engines are up to running temp that way my so called "High Strung" 450cc engine is not stressed out trying to go warp speed when its cold.
Synthetic oil isn't like synthetic fruit juice, this is much better oil, refined much more it's like taking the cream off the top of the milk. So keeping in mind the hot weight factor 10w-40 is better than 20w-50 as I see it now. I will convert over to Mobil1 racing 4T fully SYNTHETIC oil.

Old 02-29-2020, 08:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Oil weights

Originally Posted by PinkFloydEffect
It is always best to use synthetic oils specifically off road vehicles only never use generic oils from ur local stores the synthetic oils have specific additives important to the machine it is also wise to refer to your manufacturer's manual usually 10w-40 is common.