General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Should I buy a Baja Wilderness Trail 250 ATV????

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010 | 07:00 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Should I buy a Baja Wilderness Trail 250 ATV????

I Just joined today although I have read discussions on here many times. I have a question and I already know the types of responses I'm gonna get. I know most people on here are fans of the traditional brand name ATV's. I grew up on a Yamaha myself so before you start "preaching to the choir" just remember the question and answer as truthfully as you can without the usual bias and product loyalty influence.

I want to know if anyone has any information about the recently replaced Baja Wilderness Trail 250 ATV. I am aware of the previous model and the problems that existed. In fact someone told me that this model came out due to the previous problems with the older model.

So does anyone know if the newer model is any better?? I can get one on sale for $2999.00

Please give any advice you can. I'm about to make a purchase.

Thanks.

Old 10-26-2010 | 03:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

I hope the $2999.00 is a typo. Otherwise HECK NO! The base 2011 Honda Rancher has an MSRP of only $3899.00 and for that additional 9 bills you get better suspension, lighter machine, access to a huge dealer and parts network, and reliability that is light years ahead. I would be surpirsed if you couldn't find a leftover for a bit less(and no one is paying MSRP either.)

Old 10-26-2010 | 04:30 PM
Trailblazer

All Baja's suck.. My buddy had one couldn't go 2 miles without over heating, the frame was weak, the engine always had a new different hurtful sound coming from it every time he rode, and the engine wouldn't get you there happily even when it didn't over heat stalled so much times. That all happened within the week he bought it.

Old 10-26-2010 | 06:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Shoot, I meant Recon, not Rancher. Sorry.

Old 10-26-2010 | 10:38 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Scooter86
I hope the $2999.00 is a typo. Otherwise HECK NO! The base 2011 Honda Rancher has an MSRP of only $3899.00 and for that additional 9 bills you get better suspension, lighter machine, access to a huge dealer and parts network, and reliability that is light years ahead. I would be surprised if you couldn't find a leftover for a bit less(and no one is paying MSRP either.)

Dude. It must be nice to live south of the border. You cannot find prices like that in Canada. A 10 year old Yamaha would go for that price here. I don't know why there is such a difference in price between Canada and the U.S. Our dollar is pretty much on par, but that is the way it is for almost every type of motor vehicle. Even electronics. A 40 inch T.V. at a Best Buy in the U.S. can be as much as 3 or 4 hundred cheaper than Best Buy in Canada. Its ridiculous. The prices you mention would be for a child or youth ATV.

If you are ever bored, take a look at some Canadian websites. Just Google Honda, Yamaha or Suzuki Canada and check out the price differences. You will be shocked and probably relieved you get the better deal down there. Even cars and trucks like Ford, Honda, Toyota or GM etc., manufactured in plants in Canada are much cheaper in the U.S. The same vehicles that are assembled here and sent south of the border are way cheaper down there.

Old 10-27-2010 | 02:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Yeah, I see your point. I actually live close enough to the border to cross a few times a year. To bad prices haven't caught up with your currency strength. I suppose it is to big of a hassle to buy one over here, huh?

Old 10-27-2010 | 03:24 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Scooter86
Yeah, I see your point. I actually live close enough to the border to cross a few times a year. To bad prices haven't caught up with your currency strength. I suppose it is to big of a hassle to buy one over here, huh?

The dollar as been at or close to par for over 3 years now. It will never change the prices though. The manufactures know Canadians are accustomed to paying higher prices so they won't change it. When the auto industry crisis happened and thousands of Canadians started buying cheaper vehicles in the U.S., the prices did come down some on vehicles especially trucks. That's a very rare occurrence though.

I will probably come down to buy an ATV at some point. I just don't have the time to research and actually make the trip right now. Several of my family members from Newfoundland have purchased vehicles and boats from the states before. The deals are much, much better there.

A local Yamaha dealer here just told me he's getting in a 2000 Yamaha Big Bear on consignment. He figures it will go for about $2000.00. I have no idea what the condition is.

What do you think of that?

Old 10-27-2010 | 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

For 2k, a big bear would be a good deal. I believe they are 350cc, 5 speed auto clutch. My friends dad has owned several. Definitely not a speed demon, but not slow either. the speed is about identical to that of my raptor 250. (50 ish) One downside is that the older ones (and maybe the new ones too idk) are locked in 4wd... but other than that, I think it would be a good deal.

Old 10-28-2010 | 02:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Big Bear> Baja. Dependent on condition overall of course.

Old 10-28-2010 | 03:00 PM
Trailblazer

Canadian prices suck, like people sell 05 Kodiak 450's with 5000km's for $4500. You can get a brand new one in the States for that price. Every once and a while you can catch a deal on the website Kijiji but you have to catch that deal fast or its gone in minutes.

Quick Reply: Should I buy a Baja Wilderness Trail 250 ATV????