General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Looking for some advice....what to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 08:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some advice....what to buy?

I'm new to the site, and am currently looking to buy a quad...looking for a utility bike that i can do some yard work with, and take out to ride the trails on the weekends..i want something with power, but thats comfortable to ride, and good for a "beginner"...i've ridden before, but nothing crazy...i've been looking alot at the yamaha grizzly's, but don't want to walk in to make a buy with the blinders on..what else should i look out for? what brands are gonna give me what i want...thanks for the help in advance!!

Old 04-06-2011, 09:09 AM
Trailblazer
Default Advice

Well, first of all Welcome! I'll give you my two cents worth by saying that I recently bought a 06' Arctic Cat 400 4x4, it has been a great bike and had no problems with it. I also do work around the house with it and ride on some of the nastiest trails here in Az. This bike has plenty of power and always been very comfortable. I am not trying to sell the Cat's, but they are nice. I also owned a 04' Honda Foreman that performed just as nice, but it did not have independent rear suspension. Which is one thing that I would look for in a bike from now on. My folks have a 06' Yamaha Grizzly 660, it's also not had any problems. Most of the newer bikes are pretty bullet proof.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Pro Rider

I was thinking grizzly 700 as soon as you said utility before I evan finished reading your post.
If you want a great quad, that be the one to get. The only one in my opinion!

Old 04-06-2011, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

Welcome. Like BorderCat said make sure you get an IRS quad it makes a huge difference in ride quality. If you have the money to spend EFI is VERY nice. Most of the big box ATV's are good machines.
In small bore
The Polaris XP 550 is one of the most comfortable rides you'll find on a quad. and for it's class has the highest towing capacity. However any of the quads will pull as much weight as traction allows.
The Cat's I've ridden have been very nice. Never seen one least any of my friends stuck trail side.
Yamaha Grizz makes a good machine. Been around a few lemons but some good ones too.
You really can't go wrong with any of them. They all have their problems but good maintenance they will all run forever.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:03 AM
Trailblazer

U can't go wrong with that yamaha!

Old 04-06-2011, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

Something else to keep in mind is the dealer it's self.
Find a dealer who is going to back up and support what they sell and not one who's just trying to push inventory.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a few for a test ride if you can.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

http://forums.atvconnection.com/kawa...yard-work.html

"Turf Mode" on some of the Polaris models.
You will have to ask the dealer since I dont know much about it just knew it was out there.
I know my big lug mud tires do a nice job of plowing my lawn

A friend of mine last winter got a Prairie 360 4X4 with a plow kit to do his drive and walkways.
Ok little full sized quad not my style but it does the job.
IRS and a secondary pull start no EFI.
Only one issue carb running lean dealer picked it up from his house (no charge) jetted the carb and no issues since.

If you are looking to get into the sport and you are looking to putt around find a good dealer as mentioned before and talk to them about your needs and budget. It may take a few weeks or months but they will find you something that will fit the bill.

One thing to keep in mind is this... There is no replacement for displacement.
I thought my 500 was plenty of power and passed on the 750. That thought lasted about a dozen rides and now I am kicking myself for not going bigger.

Good Luck

Old 04-07-2011, 02:48 AM
Pro Rider

I'll second on the grizzly 700!