General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Wheel & Tire combination to avoid wheel damage

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 08:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel & Tire combination to avoid wheel damage

Hey everybody,

After putting 500 miles on my new King Quad 750 I am learning that I am apparently pretty hard on it.

The rear wheels are taking a beating to the point that I had to hammer out a big dent last night because I was afraid the bead would pop while riding

Also noticed that the stock Dunlops are showing some pretty rapid signs of wear so I'm starting to formulate a plan for new tires and wheels in 4 or 5 months...

Is there something I can do to make the wheels better protected by the tire ? Maybe like using a narrow wheel with a wide tire so the rubber can protect the wheel better ?

Getting a lot of recommendations for Bighorn tires... Maybe a tire like that would protect the wheel better anyway

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

If you go with a wider tire on your stock rims or rims with the same setbacks and width of your stockers it will protect the rim better as you thought. I noticed a pretty good difference when I went to Mudlite XTRs. The rims are much better protected now.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the help Moose.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

First of all, when you replace, you will want to get a tire taller than your stocks. Basically go as tall as you can without adding a lift kit. This will give your rims more cushion when you are bouncing off the rocks and stumps. I went up two inches from stock and it makes all the difference in the world!

Be careful going too wide. It might not seem it, but a couple inches sticking out on each side can make you more vulnerable to sidewall damage. So yeah, you are protecting your rims but slashing a sidewall will leave you stranded. Especially on our NE trails with tight trees and gates.

It costs extra, but ITP rims are indestructable. You can even get them fancy ones with the beadlock on it. And, they have lifetime warranty. You can't beat that.

I got an an extra set of 12" stock rims that may fit that KQ if you need them until you buy something else.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Wilson,

I had thought about going larger but that will prevent me from using the tire chains because they're already too close for comfort. I guess that's a sacrifice I could make but they really were helpful in the deeper snow...

Great to know about the ITP rims. Does that warranty actually cover damage from slamming rocks ? If so that sounds very helpful.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by cncpro
Thanks Wilson,

I had thought about going larger but that will prevent me from using the tire chains because they're already too close for comfort. I guess that's a sacrifice I could make but they really were helpful in the deeper snow...

Great to know about the ITP rims. Does that warranty actually cover damage from slamming rocks ? If so that sounds very helpful.
When you get a replacement set, you can set up your stock wheels/tires with the chains on them and use them strictly for snow. I thought about doing this with a set of stock for mine.

ITP's warranty covers pretty much everything. If a rim breaks or bends, they will replace it.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

That's a smart idea. I guess I have my plan. Now I just gotta make a few extra bucks to finance this damned addiction.