Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Osceola National Forest Info

Old 07-23-2015, 07:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Osceola National Forest Info

I've never been to the Osceola National Forest so I've read what I could find online about the area. A lot of it is from several years back so I assume things have evolved.

My understanding is that currently I don't need a permit like is required in the Apalachicola National Forest but I do need the Green OHV sticker? I was told my bill of sale can cover me for 30 days till the Title sticker shows up.
I have been studying the 2015 Vehicle Use map for that forest and was happy to see a lot more trails to explore than here where I live....but the map shows a lot of orphaned trails. IOW - trails that you can't access from other trails - meaning you have to go down numbered roads that don't appear to allow OHV traffic to access them. For example - the area just South and East of the Gum Swamp Wilderness has a lot of trails but the roads connecting them don't always appear to allow OHV traffic which would seem to mean I'd have to load/unload a lot to see it all. Is it something that they don't strictly enforce?

Now for the most important question!
It all looks pretty much the same from the sky...where are the interesting areas? Are there any old remnants of past human habitation to see that have not been plowed under? I read somewhere a mention that there were "some technical trails"... I dunno what they meant though - is technical just deep water or mud? I'm not that into deep water or mud, but am experienced and prepared to deal with it(winch). Having said that - I'd like to try to avoid it unless there is something worth the effort on the other side.

I'd appreciate any current updates on areas to avoid for whatever reason...I'm a careful - responsible rider, don't litter or destroy stuff if I can help it, and obey the rules but sometimes that isn't enough...