General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Top 5 Most Important ATVs of All Time

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 11:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wasnt polaris way before Yamaha with a side by side,I have a 99 ranger sitting outside

Old 10-05-2011, 06:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

I agree the Suzuki LT 250r or Honda Fourtrax 250r should have been listed. At the very least, I am very shocked the Honda fourtrax 250r did not get an honorable mention. When I run through the considerations that make sense in my world, the 250r is a “hands down winner” (literally). These machines carry the basic platforms the new models today were designed after.
“My Considerations”
1. All out ATV enthusiast excitement- When Honda produced the fourtrax 250r , it was like a missile of adrenaline hit the burst into the ATV community. Overall performance, quality, suspension, motors, aesthetics, etc. They were a dream come true. To produce a machine like this there first year of really producing 4 wheelers raised the bar for the ATV industry. (lt 250r get major kudos in this category)
2. This machine was so many years ahead of its time…racers used and modified them for 2 decades plus.
3. # Units sold per year available
3. Fueled an aftermarket industry…Many aftermarket companies made themselves selling 250r products. Still selling parts!!
4. What machines brought ATV enthusiast to the track over and over? ….What ATV has sat in more winners circles and received more “trophies”
5. These 2 stroke units would still sell today. I would take a 2 stroke racer any day before the high repair cost 4 strokes. Emissions standards and lack of manufacturer commitment, and track policies/racing categories killed them. I remember when these models were being pulled….people were angry.
Oh, just one more…..look at the Honda pilot fl400….where are manufacturers taking the success of the 2004 Rhino?……exactly where Honda had them over 20 years ago with the performance of the 1989 and 1990 fl400….talk about years ahead of their time…how easy we forget!! OC

Old 10-05-2011, 09:17 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by 06ds650
hey DICK W. I gues you think the 250r sums up the two stroke world...well guess again, you may have heard of the banshee they still kick a.. if and when you see them.

It was not until the 400ex came out that companies began to focus on building high and quick reving four stroke motors...hence the begining of the end of the two stroke dominated market.
Are you retarded or just stupid? The 400ex came out in 1999, how do you figure that was the beginning of the end of the 2 stroke dominated market? The ONLY 2 stroke that was being produced for 7 YEARS prior to that was the banshee and besides the color you couldn't tell the difference between the years, Yamaha made no changes to them after the first couple years when the changed the front suspension.

The 2 strokes were done LOOONNNNGGG before the 400ex came out. The Tecate was done in 1988, the 250R in 1989 and the LT250R in 1992, now tell me again how exactly the 400ex, that came out in 1999, contributed to the demise of an industry that was all but phased out 7 years prior?

Sorry to break your bubble but I'm not a 250r fanboy, never owned a Honda. I currently ride a zilla and notice I didn't mention them either as they didn't do anything revolutionary either, Honda did with the atc250r back around 80-81 and then Suzuki with the 4 wheeled lt250r in 1985. Those were the first full out 3 and 4 wheeled racing machines that started the whole craze and deserve to be mentioned.

I can guarantee that you weren't riding atv's in the 80's or you would be a little more informed.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Trailblazer

This article brings back fond memories in 1984 when my dad and uncle came home with 2 Suzuki LT125's. I was only 15 at the time and was riding a Honda XR75. I couldn't believe how awesome these quads where. Probably one of the most reliable atv's I've ever owned. As a matter of fact, 3 years ago one of them died and I consolidated both of them into one. Taking the best parts from each. Today, it actually still runs. Definitely not like it used to but after 27 years of total abuse I can't believe it does. I just don't have the heart to retire it. The only thing it needs is new back tires. If anyone knows someone that has a used set lying around let me know.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by oc250r
4. What machines brought ATV enthusiast to the track over and over? ….What ATV has sat in more winners circles and received more “trophies”
Answer...

The ATC 250R, not the TRX.

Sorry but, quad racing has never been as big as when 3 wheelers ruled the roost.

I think the list is pretty spot on. Each machine brought in a new era. All the racing ATV's, yeah they were substantial but, ATV racing was going on before the first 250R was even thought of.

the 6 wheelers gave us the first ATV's

the first 3wheeler gave us the first sit on ATV's

the quadrunner gave us the first quad

the fourtrax 350 gave us the first 4wheel drive (sit on) ATV

the rhino, well like the artical mentions, it was not the first but, it did usher in a new market.

The Honorable mentions though I would change. The ones mentioned only highlight undates and improvements to ATV's but, in my opinion nothing ground breaking.

The ATC 250R should definatly be in there as it did bring ATV racing to the big time with sponsored riders and factory teams. Even today no factory has had as big of a ATV team as Honda did back then.

The ATC Big Red should be mentioned as it was the first utility ATV

The Quadracer 250 can lay claime to first High performance quad, Yes the TRX 250R was/better in most ways but, the LT was still the first.

The Yamaha 450 gave us the first true race 4 stroke ATV.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Range Rover

1987 Suzuki LT80: The first ATV with a CVT transmission.

This is incorrect the 1985 Polaris 250 three wheel had a cvt system making it the first.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by EPIChad
I would had a Polaris in their for sure for the first to use the CVT. Especially now that everyone other then sport quads and Honda has switched to using belt drive machines.

And like Moosehenden said the Polaris 500 Sportsman for CVT, Engine Braking, Independant Rear Suspension, Push Button 4 wheel drive
Honda uses a gear driven tranny,no need for belts.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 06ds650
The list is missing the sport quad era....with that being said I think the
400EX was the begining of the end for the two stroke world. I Mean they took the 250r frame put their new 400 four stroke power plant in it and now....thunder is all you hear at the sand dunes when the occasional two stroke goes zippin by my kids all say what was that Dad.

What I'm trying to say is before the 400Ex there wasn't any real sport quad presence that used the thunder thumpin four stroke.
The 400Ex does not have a 250r frame, and it wasn't the first 4 stroke sport quad. The Suzuki quadsport was the first 4 stroke sport quad (1985) followed by the Honda 250X, Yamaha Warrior, and Kawasaki Mohave. And since the article is not just about 4 wheelers, the honda 200x can probably lay claim to the first 4 stroke sport ATV (followed by the 350X), although I know Yamaha and Kawasaki had a few 4 stroke three wheelers in there too.

Also, for those talking about Polaris, what year did the 500 Sportsman come out? I'm just asking because Suzuki had IRS on their 250 4x4 quad in 1987 (It looks goofy). I would have thought that was the first IRS but I could be wrong. It also had 15 forward gears via 5 speed transmission plus a 3 speed subtransmission, the first locking differential on a 4x4 front end, and the first 4x4 that could be taken out of 4x4.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:00 AM
Pro Rider

No Banshee? You could argue that the Banshee created the massive aftermarket parts industry. I also think the Zilla and origninal Raptor 660 should have got some recognition.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider

Interesting article, but your choices are totally different than mine. Here is what I consider the top five important ATVs of all time.

Honda 250R
Yamaha Banshee
Honda 400 EX
Polaris Sportsman 500
Can Am Renegade

Quick Reply: Top 5 Most Important ATVs of All Time