General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Outdoor storage of ATV

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outdoor storage of ATV

My ATV currently just fits in my garage. With the plow on it it won't fit without some major garage reorganization. What damage am I likely to do if it sits outside this winter with a cover? It is a Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4. Is it likely to have starting problems? It starts just fine now.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by keithert
My ATV currently just fits in my garage. With the plow on it it won't fit without some major garage reorganization. What damage am I likely to do if it sits outside this winter with a cover? It is a Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4. Is it likely to have starting problems? It starts just fine now.
Top of my list would be rust... A lot more than if it were garaged... Especially with a tarp over it because moisture comes up from the ground and is trapped in the tarp.

Next would be rodents. Making nests in the airbox and eating through whatever wires or filter elements get in the way of that perfect little cozy spot.

My advice - Clean ur garage!

Old 10-19-2011, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider

Good points. I may have to make more room!

Old 10-19-2011, 03:12 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have a garage so I've been storing my quads outside for about 15 years. No problems yet. I don't even keep it covered except in winter. If it rains hard all week and it's uncovered it gets an ounce or two of water in the front cargo box. I just pulled out the drain plugs and let it sit. No problem.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
I don't have a garage so I've been storing my quads outside for about 15 years. No problems yet. I don't even keep it covered except in winter. If it rains hard all week and it's uncovered it gets an ounce or two of water in the front cargo box. I just pulled out the drain plugs and let it sit. No problem.
wow, thats good to know since i don't have a garage either. I hope its at least locked up

Old 10-19-2011, 05:38 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you're rural- you're almost gauranteed to have a rodent take shelter in it over the winter months.

hell- even my lawn tractor which gets used every 2 weeks will have a couple of rodents run out from under the deck when I start it up.

put your crap in the garage outside under a tarp and put your atv in the garage -

or, will the wife let you put it in the house? If she says no- put her in the garage (or under a tarp in the back yard )

Old 10-19-2011, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by beergut
if you're rural- you're almost gauranteed to have a rodent take shelter in it over the winter months.

hell- even my lawn tractor which gets used every 2 weeks will have a couple of rodents run out from under the deck when I start it up.

put your crap in the garage outside under a tarp and put your atv in the garage -

or, will the wife let you put it in the house? If she says no- put her in the garage (or under a tarp in the back yard )
Beergut's now working on divorce #2

Old 10-19-2011, 06:11 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cncpro
Beergut's now working on divorce #2

no one escapes twice. NO ONE!

mwhaa mmwwhaaa mmwahhhhhhh (evillaughsmilley)

Old 10-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jay929rr
wow, thats good to know since i don't have a garage either. I hope its at least locked up
I have 2 wheel locks on it. TWL100 So far nobody's been able to get it. They did tear the back wall of my shed open a year ago and steal some stuff.

And if anyone is wondering, the quad won't fit in the shed. That's why it's always outside.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:36 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by beergut

Hmmmm. What was that phrase again???

Oh yeah.

Copy. Paste. Send.

Quick Reply: Outdoor storage of ATV