General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

New To Riding Looking For Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012 | 08:56 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default New To Riding Looking For Advice

Hello everyone, I have decided that it's time for me to purchase myself a quad finally after wanting one for many many years now. The thing is I am just not exactly too sure what type of machine would be best for someone such as myself. I am a decent sized guy at 5'11 and 250LBS. I know I would not be looking to go into racing or anything like that and would most likely be just doing typical riding on trails and things of that nature. I don't have too much to spend, so I'm looking to buy used. I would like to drop around $2,000. I have looked around a little on Craigslist in my area and have found a couple 2000-2004 400 Ex's that I have really taken a liking to. Would a bike this size and kind do alright for me? Like I said I am not going to be doing anything crazy since I'll be learning on it. I would like to hear what kind of bikes you guys think would be good for what I'd be doing with it.

Old 01-11-2012 | 07:43 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

If you have fairly smooth trails where you are with little mud or nasty rock climbs a 2wd sport quad is a great quad to ride. If you are going to be dealing with a lot of mud and steep rocky hill climbs I'd recommend a 4x4. The quad you mentioned is a good starting point and would even have enough power for all your needs. Only drawback is that you would have a hand clutch with a foot shifter. Not a huge problem but if you're unfamiliar with manual transmissions it could be tough to learn on.

Old 01-11-2012 | 09:06 AM
Trailblazer

X2 Above.

You need to figure out what suits you best, 2x4 or 4x4. I have both, i Have a suzuki LT-R 450 and it is a bullet proof bike that is really awesome on the trails. I think suzuki makes a better trail bike then others, It has a slightly longer wheel base (less prone to unwanted wheelies) wider stance (more stable in corners) and it will do 75 mph stock.

4x4 choice for is a can-am outlander, i use to ride arctic cat and i dont miss it at all.

$2000 budget is a tough one since you might be buying someone else junk. Look it out good, ride it, listen for odd noises. Look for rust, flaking paint (means its bent) look at bolt heads for wrench use, (means its been worked on a lot.) Research your options, read up on everything, If you like honda, go to a honda forum and see what problem they are prone too and then you can watch for when shopping.

please fill out your location so we know where you live. ( I can help find you a nice bike)

Here are my two bikes

2006 Suzuki LT-R 450

2011 Can-am outlander max 800 LTD

Name:  2011-11-28165852.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  112.3 KB

Old 01-14-2012 | 11:01 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it. As for which kind of bike I am looking for I am looking for something that is 2X4 for sure. I've been looking at a lot of bikes on Craigslist in my area (Rhode Island but am willing to travel to pretty much anywhere in RI,MA,CT and NH for a purchase). I have started to like those Honda 400ex's a lot. That style of bike would fit me best from what I can tell. That would be awesome if you could some what guide me to the better "deals" on good bikes online in my price range. I know with a price range of only $2,000 there will be slim pickings but as long as it runs solid and looks decent I'll be very happy. Again I am not set on any particular brand but want something in the same class as a 400ex. I would mainly just use it for cruising some trails and things like that. The trails are not too crazy around here as far as rocks and climbing goes. It's mostly just little dirt roads and other various dirt trails. I do have a cabin in the mountains of Vermont where the terrain is more tough than around here but I would just stick to what is within my limits obviously.

silverram I really like that Suzuki you have pictured. I wish I could afford something like that, such a nice looking machine. One day I'll be able to get something like that but I figure for my first bike I'll just grab something not too expensive.

Old 01-14-2012 | 11:17 PM
Trailblazer
Old 01-14-2012 | 11:36 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Wow those Suzukis are really nice also. Funny thing is I was looking in those states also but I guess I was only looking for Honda's. Little did I know I was missing those Suzukis. Now I really like both bikes but what's the main difference between the ltz400 and ltr450? Is there much difference besides 50cc? Sorry for the noob questions but I'm just very interested in those now and would like to hear what someone thinks who actually owns one. They look so damn mean I love it.

Old 01-15-2012 | 12:31 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

after doing some research I'm really really liking the ltr450. Looks like it's a much better bike than the 400ex but I'm sure that comes with a higher price tag also. I've just read that they're fuel injected which is a big plus in my book. Plus it seems like a bike with more than enough power for someone my size and I wouldn't get bored with it quickly once I get better at riding.

Old 01-15-2012 | 08:29 AM
Trailblazer

The ltr450 is a great bike, EFI is awesome and spot on. If you buy one and it don't have a cherry bomb chip, get one. It is a factory chip, it unlocks more power, when imported to USA they have to detune them for emissions, this simple plug in chip opens it up. I ride my 450 aggressive and see 25mpg every time.

Here is a awesome suzuki only forum. Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com everything you need to know is here.

I hope you find a nice bike, they are well worth it. There is no speedo so its hard to tell mileage but if the paint it wore off where your feet rub the side of the frame, find a different one.

I also put on a trail tech vapor, it will keep track of everything for you. Part #: 408377 https://www.denniskirk.com/trail-tec...prd/408377.sku

•Speed, temp, distance, tach and clock
•Speedometer functions: current, average, maximum; selectable MPH/KPH
•Temperature functions: ambient temp, engine temp with LED alerts, dual programmable temp lights, exact model fit temp sensors; selectable F/C scale
•Distance functions: adjustable distance, permanent odometer; selectable mile/kilometer
•Tachometer functions: real-time rpm bar graph, numeric rpm readout, dual programmable shift lights; up to 20,000 rpm
•Clock functions: hour meter, stop watch, ride time; selectable 12/24 hour display
•Includes universal power connector for all machines and accepts AC and DC power
•Waterproof design with high-intensity LCD white backlight display

Old 01-15-2012 | 08:52 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by silverram323
The ltr450 is a great bike, efi is awesome and spot on. If you buy one and it dont have a cherry bomb chip, get one. It is a factory chip, it unlocks more power, when imported to usa they have to detune them for emissions, this simple plug in chip opens it up. I ride my 450 aggressive and see 25mpg every time.

Here is a awesome suzuki only forum. Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com

I hope you find a nice bike, they are well worth it. There is no speedo so its hard to tell mileage but if the paint it wore off where your feet rub the side of the frame, find a different one.
Yeah I've been doing research on the ltr450 and ltz400 all night and I am really starting to fall for the 450 more and more. I will be without a doubt adding Suzuki to the list. I'm a decent sized guy, I am almost 6 feet tall and about 250 pounds. Do you think that bike would be big enough for me? I am going to go to a Suzuki dealer in my city to see if they have any there. I just want to get the feel for it and see how I fit on the bike and things of that nature. Obviously I can't afford a brand new one but I figure I should be able to get at least a general idea of how one feels. So is the ltz400 pretty much just a step down from the ltr450? I am also really liking that bike but do without a doubt like the ltr a lot more. Thanks for the link to that Suzuki forum, I am going to start an account there and start associating with people who currently own the bikes to see what they have to say. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for when going to look at a used ltr450 besides the paint where the riders feet rub? Once again I apologize for all the noobish questions, I'm just really interested in this and like to hear about the bike straight from people who own them.

Old 01-15-2012 | 09:03 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by borgey401
Yeah I've been doing research on the ltr450 and ltz400 all night and I am really starting to fall for the 450 more and more. I will be without a doubt adding Suzuki to the list. I'm a decent sized guy, I am almost 6 feet tall and about 250 pounds. Do you think that bike would be big enough for me? I am going to go to a Suzuki dealer in my city to see if they have any there. I just want to get the feel for it and see how I fit on the bike and things of that nature. Obviously I can't afford a brand new one but I figure I should be able to get at least a general idea of how one feels. So is the ltz400 pretty much just a step down from the ltr450? I am also really liking that bike but do without a doubt like the ltr a lot more. Thanks for the link to that Suzuki forum, I am going to start an account there and start associating with people who currently own the bikes to see what they have to say. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for when going to look at a used ltr450 besides the paint where the riders feet rub? Once again I apologize for all the noobish questions, I'm just really interested in this and like to hear about the bike straight from people who own them.
I UPDATED MY LAST POST, SO REREAD IT.

My friend is your size and he loves his, he is the one that turned me on the the LT-R, He has no problems being a big guy. The only real problem i have is the suspension is too stiff. Im going to re-valve my front shocks.

The LT-R are really tough and they come setup from the factory for racing, You can buy one and head out to the track and do 20 foot jumps all day and have no problems with it. You can do that with the Yamaha raptors, or Honda's, these are special bikes.

Dont buy the 1st bike you go and see, look it over good in good light, ride it, listen for odd noises. Look for rust, flaking paint (means its bent) look at bolt heads for wrench use, (means its been worked on a lot.)
search on the 450hplq forum for more help.

Quick Reply: New To Riding Looking For Advice