General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

ATV rentals at Wayne National Forest?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 09:51 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rental rates must be high for a good reason. The bad nasty things I would try if I had a rented ATV for a day.

You know guys, the things you alway wanted to try on a ATV but would not dare try on your own ATV because you still needed it next weekend.LOL

Old 03-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Originally Posted by TLC
Rental rates must be high for a good reason. The bad nasty things I would try if I had a rented ATV for a day.

You know guys, the things you alway wanted to try on a ATV but would not dare try on your own ATV because you still needed it next weekend.LOL
I'll second that!!! I've always wanted to attempt the devils backbone at Haspin acres in southern IN. but not on my sportsman!!!!! Costs to much to fix, not if but when it's been barrel rolled half way down the mountain.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by readymixer169
I'll second that!!! I've always wanted to attempt the devils backbone at Haspin acres in southern IN. but not on my sportsman!!!!! Costs to much to fix, not if but when it's been barrel rolled half way down the mountain.

thats what insurance is for wheres your sense of adventure?

Old 03-09-2012, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by irinman2424
thats what insurance is for wheres your sense of adventure?
What I really meant to say is, as I get older I find that I don't heal as quickly and really rather not be laid up for a month or two recovering.LOL

Old 03-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Pro Rider

I was just messing with ya

Old 03-09-2012, 06:16 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!

I don't mean to steal this thread but how are the trails and camping accommodations at wayne. Was planning a trip for this spring to either someplace in michigan or down to haspin acres for our annual spring man-cation and some of the guy's suggested some place new that we've never been before. Wayne is only about 4 1/2 hours drive which is only a little further than we normally go for a 3 day weekend trip.
How do you camp? The forest allows free primitive camping at all of their trailheads. They offer a latrine and that is it. Riding is hrs a day which makes it kinda nice as far as being allowed to do the night riding. If you prefer more "luxury" while you camp, there are three campgrounds on the system- Camp Ohio, Williams (both of which seem pretty dumpy to us, but we haven't stayed there either) and Begley's in New Straitsville which definitely seems to be the most reputable offering. Now as far as trails, there is a little bit of everything...some mud that is deeper than your quad, some mud that is doable, some open trails, and a few hill climb spots if you look for them. We have ridden multiple thousands of miles there the last couple summers and have a very good idea of what is around the next turn and what the system offers. There are 71 miles at the part that we ride. We always do the primitive camping, but we never make more than 2 nights of it either. If you would be interested in hooking up for a ride to get a taste before you plan a vacation there (and your reputation is on the line) just pm myself or mudslinger and we can let you know when we are riding! The system open on April 15th (midnight) and is open 24/7 after than until december 15th. Oh yeah...they do not allow alcohol in the forest (even at your camper for the evening), so if that is a big deal then you should probably look elsewhere!!

Old 03-09-2012, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

I don't mean to steal this thread but how are the trails and camping accommodations at wayne. Was planning a trip for this spring to either someplace in michigan or down to haspin acres for our annual spring man-cation and some of the guy's suggested some place new that we've never been before. Wayne is only about 4 1/2 hours drive which is only a little further than we normally go for a 3 day weekend trip.
As mudslinger2 said, Wayne has a little of everything ranging from smooth open trails to "the bog". If you do come for a long weekend, you will have to bring your extra gas as there is none on the system and the closest is probably a 10-15 minute drive. You will also want to bring your food or you will have that same drive. They do allow campfires at the trailheads and along the trails. If you don't mind primitive camping, Wayne is a cheap place to stay as you can camp at the trailheads for free. Below are two maps I have made using my GPS and google earth. We laminate them front to back and use them instead of the huge foldout map they give you when you buy your pass (3 day pass is $24 cash only). You will see that there is a network of trails that loop back on to each other and then one long trail that splits off. Begley's is at the far end of the trail that splits off and means you have to ride the same trail over and over to get to any other trails. We always camp in the middle of the Dorr Run Loop and ride up to New Straitsville (the town is ATV friendly, but there isn't much to see in the town) for the double deluxe burger at the country kitchen. This allows more variety in the riding.

This is a map of the Dorr Run Loop - We camp at P2.

This is the branch (15 miles or so) that runs up to New Straitsville where Irinman stayed at Begley's. The right side of this map is actually the North.

If you make the trip, I highly suggest using the maps above or send me a PM and I will email you ones that are updated to match their markings...the top left part of the top map is marked wrong on their system and I am working on a map that matches their markings as their map is wrong!

Like mudslinger2 said, if you ever want a tour of the place, let us know. We ride there regulary and would more than willing to show you around or possibly even meet your group and ride for a couple hours.

Below is a video of our pictures from riding at Wayne over the past couple years.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:13 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!

Just watched that video again...there is no way that I have been stuck that many times! Pictures really must lie!!

Old 03-09-2012, 07:37 PM

Thanks for the info and the invite guy's. If the group decides to try wayne this spring I'll definitely be looking you guy's up (mudslingers and irinman) Looks like a blast from the video. Got to set a definite date for May and see who all's going to make the trip this spring.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider

any time anyone wants to go to Wayne I am up for it I am always looking for more to go with all I ask is that you let me know a week or two in advance so I can plan for it. shoot me a PM and I will send ya my number

Quick Reply: ATV rentals at Wayne National Forest?