General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Poker run questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 08:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poker run questions

Hey guys I am trying to put together a atv poker to help raise funds for the local VFD, I need some guidance in setting this thing up,
We have plenty of territory to ride , we will provide free refreshments and hot dogs at the end of the ride. We will give prizes to the top 3 hands and the worst hand ....but my question is how do you space the checkpoints, do you just give them a card at the checkpoint? Is there any other functions for each checkpoint?
We anticipate 40-50 riders with the possibility of more ....and we want to make this a successful first ride so we may continue to hold these .....

Any information or ideas are welcome

Thanks

Shane

Old 03-13-2012, 08:37 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!

My best advice for a poker run is to make sure that you run it in a loop...there is a local to us that runs out on a trail and then stops at a trailhead and then runs back on the same trail...so you spend all day stopped waiting on the people coming the other way! If you loop it and keep it all one way, no one has to meet anyone on the trail...safer that way too!!

Old 03-13-2012, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

I think the one time I did a poker run there was an entry fee, then you rode a set route with so many stops. At each stop you would reach into a bag and pull out a chip with a card written on it such as jack of spades, ace of hearts, etc. Basically a full deck of cards written on chips. Then you'd have your card value put on a card, and move on to the next station. Each station had a number of people each with a full deck of cards written on chips in bags to make things go faster. When you got to the end you'd have your hand.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

When my ATV club runs them they have them spaced out a few miles. If you can do the loop that is best, as mentioned. Just make sure you give riders plenty of time to get to each stop and back to the starting point. If trails are a mix of rough and smooth, we figure about a 10mph average speed. So, if the whole course is 40 miles you need to give everyone 4 hours to complete it.

I never did finish. I ended up towing a guy with the same kind of quad as mine. He saw a moose (not me) and was watching it instead of the trail. A log got wedged up under his quad and ripped up his throttle cable. Got to tow him 5 miles or so up and down hills, through mudholes, and over rocks.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

The trail would be a loop , 40-50 mile range , ....We were thinking something like 15-20$ to enter ..... since we will be giving away prizes and have a free cookout at the end .....
Keep the ideas comming as they are all usefull ...

thanks

Old 03-15-2012, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MC rides "poker runs" do not give cards anymore...at the end they deal you a hand...thats yer poker hand...not during the ride...saves time and lots of cards (!!)
all ya need is 1 deck then essentially. avoids people "swapping" cards around to build a nice hand.
and another is collect the money as they pull in wth there truck n trailer...you would be surprised now many people pull in, unload, then never come to the table and pay.

thats my advice.

good luck to yer endeavor