General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

camping generator question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 08:24 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 3 Generators, Ones a 1000w China which is nice and small for camping trips and works well enough, the other is a newer 2500W Yamaha but is alittle to large for camping trips the other is a 3500w brigs,which is super quiet with its $70 optional muffler but also to large for ATV camping trips.

You really do not really need more then 1000w if you only want it to run lights.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:59 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TLC
I have 3 Generators, Ones a 1000w China which is nice and small for camping trips and works well enough, the other is a newer 2500W Yamaha but is alittle to large for camping trips the other is a 3500w brigs,which is supper quiet with its $70 optional muffler but also to large for ATV camping trips.

You really do not really need more then 1000w if you only want it to run lights.
I actually think the one in our camper is 3000w (3kw) - it powers the 15,000 btu ac, the water pump and the microwave.

yeah- if all you're powering is lights and a radio / tv- 1kw will work fine.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i concur with beergut, i had to calculate the average load from my 5th wheel and i got a generator that could handle the a/c, lights, microwave, and small electronics. as readymixer169 stated, you don't want to push them all of the time. a little overkill is better that pushing the max all of the time.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:05 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

No good for our trips,we go to fly in fishing lakes so everthing goes in by ATV only the trucks just can make it so size and weight is important.

I guess if we camped where the trucks can go we would just bring every generator we have and 20hp outboards instead of 2hp Honda ones.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Range Rover

Good choice.Propane might be more efficient but for size,portability,and noise level you can't beat the Honda.I've never heard a quieter generator than my EU2000.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:19 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DogRunner2
Good choice.Propane might be more efficient but for size,portability,and noise level you can't beat the Honda.I've never heard a quieter generator than my EU2000.
propane isn't really so much more "efficient" then gas-

the attractivness with propane is they run so much cleaner than gas. Gas fumes and the exhaust of a gas burning engine can easily stink up a few hundred sq feet area- and **** of close camping neighbors.

propane is also a no fuss storage- you can let a propane tank stay on the gen for years without touching it- and when you need it, just start it up. No gunk to mess with, no stale gas, no fowled plugs... try that with a gas gen... Also the oil in a propane motor is 3 times cleaner then in a gas gen.

also- every camping place will carry onsite propane refill & already filled propane takns- so you never have to really bring gas, gas up on the way, run out for gas, or hope theres a gas station nearby for when you run out of gas.

I've been there & done that for over 20 years of camping. I can't count the times I've had to drive 35-40 minutes around a northern town to find an open gas station- or people 2 tents over complaining about the exhaust fumes stinking them out. Never an issue with propane. just saying.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered the Honda tuesday nite and its sitting at the door now...super fast delivery from ElectricgeneratorsDirect.com , no shipping, and the best price I had seen ($939.00) and being a quad trip generator gasoline will be with us at all times so one less worry there.
Its a quadding campground so gasoline is readily available down the road and noise, well it'll be there from all the quads and dirtbikes, but my generator won't be anyones complaint.
and this place is pretty basic so no propane refill station is on site...in fact nothing but water and dirt is really there...lol.