General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

How far will you go???

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How far will you go???

As I am packing my gear for another trip to Windrock Park, I got to looking at some of my previous tracks on my gps. The longest I saw was 46 miles. I guess that's the longest distance I have ridden my wheeler in one day of riding. To most ppl, this seems like a ridiculous distance to ride an ATV, but I know I have seen where some of you have posted far longer rides than this.

For anyone who has ever ridden Windrock, its a lot of technical riding in mountainous terrain, mixed with gravel roads. Most of my 46 miles were on the rocks and off cambers, after which I was ready for camp, a hot shower, and the stew pot over the fire.

That being said, what's the longest trip you have ever logged in only one day of riding? Was it smooth trails, or technical riding? I would like to know honest distances and plenty of details of your trip.

Please, let the discussion begin.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

110ish miles on a ride from the Hilltop/Wagon Wheel/Ashland area of WV to Sophia for dinner and then back. It was a mixture of everything, from gravel roads to some very gnarly rocky hills, to creek riding, and some high speed riding through the Burning Rock system. My average days riding in WV is between 70 and 80 miles.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:09 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!

130 miles in a day at Hatfield McCoy a couple years ago. We camped at Ashland and rode up onto the Pinnacle system and ate lunch, checked out that system and rode back. Took a break a couple hours and then went back out later in the day for the local stuff around the campground. All miles were on professionally maintained trails through the mountains of southern west virginia.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:30 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got back from doing a 185 mile loop in greenville, maine about 2 months ago- we did the jackman loop- a few of us here met up at a lodge just south of moosehead lake for the weekend- didn't think we were going to go that far when we left at 8am- but half way through the trip we found some trails were closed and we ended up on unfimiliar trails- got back at 11pm, frozen, hungry and wet- I'll admit I was a bit uneasy near the end as we were in the middle of maine in the mountains. The trails were a mix of very technical wooded trails and open logging roads. Saw a lot of moose!
I read somewhere Maine has the most (milage) of atv trails than any other state- over 30,000 miles of interconnecting trails that wind up & down mountains and up into canada. over 6000 miles of trails from this section alone-

http://www.northernoutdoors.com/site...torcycles.html

Old 08-28-2012, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Did 120 miles out of Jackman, ME a couple times, many 80+ days in Claremont, and Berlind, NH. Lots of 40-60 mile days.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:14 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The most I ever did in a day was 130 some miles and I've done 120 a few times. Sometimes we take off kind of late in the morning (after breakfast) and ride until midnight or even later. A more typical day is 75 miles mostly on narrow one lane trails. Now we can drive on the roads to get to the trails so our mileage is higher.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An average day I'd guess would be in the 40-50 range...We did do an over 100 mile day down in Evarts Ky...Only time I ever ran my quad out of fuel in one day of riding.
This was gravel roads, moderate trails and prolly 15 miles of state highway at high speed

Old 08-30-2012, 08:17 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

I've gone about 220 miles in 2 days (110 avg per day) on more than one occasion at Manistee national forest in around Baldwin Michigan. A little bit of everything in the mix to ride on. Nice little weekend excursion. Many of the towns nearby are ATV friendly as well.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:26 PM
Trailblazer

We averaged about 75 miles per day when we were at Hatfield in May...we had several breakdowns and mechanical issues with some of the quads, so that held us back some. Slow technical rocks, some black climbs, some real fast sections, creek riding, some mud...little bit of everything. Going back in Sept and then again in November to hit some of the other trail systems there.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:07 PM
Range Rover

I've done 120ish in the lake city, CO. Area and that is with my wife on with me. It's a range of maintained dirt roads all the way to super steep climbs and a section of nearly impassible boulders. And have done 75 plus several times with the whole extended family.