General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Best quad for the money?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 08:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best quad for the money?

Im new to the forums and recently i have been searching and am trying to figure out what is the best quad for under 2300. I am not a small guy i weigh about 250 and am looking for a 4x4 or maybe even a sport quad. I need help choosing and finding which is best??

Old 09-18-2012, 04:25 PM

Well if you want to feel like a tank and climb over some rocks, or have insanely deep mud, then 4x4 is the way to go.

Otherwise, sport bikes have a lot to offer...

I found the bike i liked by going out to shops and sitting on bikes.... (not the dealer... they hate me ) Look around on craigslist!

I'm thinking outlaw 500 for a big fella (even though i hate polaris....)

I mean....

you've got your 400ex, ltz 400 (z400), kfx 400, all the 400's...

Then you've got your 450's.... KFX 450 (i'd say this would be something to look at... only 450 with reverse.), 450r, ltr 450, all the 450's...

Then you've got your 700's...
Raptor 700, honda 700xx, KFX 700 (more of a utility bike i think... but their monsters up close!!)

But then again, a lot of those are 3(+) grand....

A nice 400...around 2 grand.

well... theres some ideas at least. sorry for the big pictures.....

Old 09-18-2012, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

If you're going to be in deep mud, going over rock strewn hills, or out in the snow, a 4x4 is the way to go. If new the Polaris Sportsman 500 is a good bargain with a pretty bulletproof engine, great off-road capability, and fits big guys well. 2013 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO Sage Green ATV: Features Yamaha makes a 550 and 450 4x4 with great capabilities. Can-Am tends to have the best power per cc in the utility, 4x4 world. Honda's are very reliable but lack a full locker in the front. Only a problem on off camber rocky situations, or in deep mud or snow.

For sport quads for a guy your size I'd also recommend the Polaris Outlaw, Yamaha Raptor 700, or the Honda 700xx. The nice thing about the Outlaw and 700xx is the independent rear suspension. More clearance, more comfort. Not quite as easy to slide in the corners as a straight axle.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

i just tryin to figure out what would be the best utility for under 2300 and the best sport for under the same price. what would you guys say would be the best deal for under that amount that is of course used?

Old 09-20-2012, 07:00 AM

HM.. 400ex or you might could snag a yfz 450,

check craigslist!

Old 09-21-2012, 07:29 AM
Trailblazer

ya try Suzuki eigers and the Yamaha and Honda equivalents . around the 400 cc range and z400 or 400ex for sportys in that range.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:25 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arghobbs
i just tryin to figure out what would be the best utility for under 2300 and the best sport for under the same price. what would you guys say would be the best deal for under that amount that is of course used?

well- asking "what's the best utility atv?" is like asking a room full of cheffs "what's the best tasting food?"

there's no right answer.

with only $2300 to spend on a 4x4 utility- your choices are very slim- you'll be looking at 4x4's older than 2003, and in the 250 - 350cc range most likely.
A decent 400cc 4x4 atv 2005 or newer will start around $4k

you might be lucky to find an older 2003 bombardier 400 4x4 kicking around in your price range, the older suzuki eiger's can be found for about $3k- as well as the king quads, big bears and foremans- but this is a bad time to be shopping for mid sized 4x4 utilities in the $2300 range- especially in new england with hunting season just around the corner- hunters snap these atv's up within minutes of them being posted- mid sized 4x4 ads on craigslist dries up around this time of year- but there will be more full size (650 - 850cc) 4x4 atv's to pick from- but they are up in the $5k - $10k range.

best advice I can give you is to use a craigslist search engine and search at least twice per day- if you find a 4x4 in your price range, don't "sleep" on it too long- cause it'll be gone. go check it out and see how you like it...

as far as looking at used atv's and what to look for... here's a few thinks you cad do to ensure you're not buying a basket case:

for IRS atv's, push the tire sidewall in & out (with force- as to rock the atv from side to side) and listen (feel) for worn wheel bearings, if it's a live axle (SRA)- lift up on the rear of the atv to allow the axle & tires to "float", do this a few times to see if there's any play in the carrier bearings as the axle should be tight in the carrier housing... inspect the skid plate for major damage, inspect the front & rear cv boots for damage, check the oil- should- be golden honey in color if he stay's on top of his oil changes, wiggle the bars and look for play in the (inner & outter) tie rods & (upper & lower) ball joints, inspect the tires for deep gashes and plugs (implicates rocky trails) look at the head lights for scratches and cracks (implicates running over trees and tight wood riding) look under the seat & in the battery area for mud, rocks and sand (implicates deep water crossing & mudding) check how well it shifts, is the suspension squeaky? do the shocks rebound all the way? is there a lot of noise in the cvt area? (omit if it's a can-am, cvt noise is normal ) is there too much sag in the springs? pin the throttle during the test ride- do the tires spin or does the rpm just climb without much forward motion (slipping cvt belt) does it start up quickly and idle smooth? give it 5 or 6 quick throttle bursts while at idle- does it back-fire & pop? (implicates worn plugs or low compression or dirty carb / efi injectors) ensure the front diff locks-up when engaged (should be hard to turn when going straight- (the front diff lock test wont work on a can-am or polaris due to their auto engaging front diffs), check the winch in & out controls, check the cable for kinks (implicates the atv has been winched out of a pit) and check the overall condition of the plastics & seat...

that should get you started

Old 10-05-2012, 09:52 PM
Trailblazer

I'd look at an older Scrambler 500 or Wolverine 350... Just make sure you check them over really well.. I got screwed on mine lol. You really don't get much for the price range you are looking at.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

I have to disagree with a few of these guys(in a friendly way) to a point.

I keep an eye on craigslist almost all the time, as I am always looking for a deal. I see some pretty nice utilities for under $2000 all the time. They may not be top of the line new stuff, but nice with lots of life left in them none the less...

My father in law bought a mint condition 2000 300 Arctic Cat 4x4 for $1300 recently. It has I think 1600 miles on it and is in really nice condition. I just bought a 2000 model Yamaha Big Bear 400 4x4 I have been fixing up for $900. I have done some work, but other than my time, I now have $1200 in it and consider it to be a reliable, decent looking fourwheeler. It isnt showroom by any means, but it isnt rusty, the plastic isnt busted anywhere, it has nice tires, and a good battery.

They are out there, you just need to keep an eye open. Basically a mid size(350-500cc) ATV of most brands would be great for you and affordable. Just make sure you look them over well because its easy to find them in bad condition. I looked at an Arctic Cat a guy wanted $1100 for. it would have taken at least $500-600 more and several man hours to make it a reliable, decent looking ATV. It was a joke. So just keep your eye open and go look at a few. You will know it when you find a nice one that you like.

I have attatched some pictures of the Arctic Cat and my Yamaha just for reference of what you can get for $1000-$1500 around here. Also, just from what I have noticed, Arctic Cats seem to lose value quicker. Not good if you are buying new, but that also means you can buy used for a nice deal. His AC is nicer than my Yamaha but mine is probably worth more being a 400 and a Yamaha. Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, and Kawasaki
seem to hold their value pretty good around here.

Attached Thumbnails Best quad for the money?-bigbear3.jpg   Best quad for the money?-bigbear1.jpg   Best quad for the money?-bbandac.jpg  
Old 10-09-2012, 06:01 AM
Trailblazer

That Big Bear looks like a great deal! No offense but the arctic cat is sized more for a 12-16 year old. What area do you live in? would never see a 2000 Big Bear go for that around here, it would be about 3k here.

Quick Reply: Best quad for the money?