General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Convincing Parents to get an ATV ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 07:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by j_mauld
I'm a parent as well, and it scares me a little when my son rides with us. He's only 7.

In your case I would not argue that ATVs are safe. Most parents are smart enough to see the dangers that are inherent to them. What I would do is show them how you intend to mitigate that risk. Will you wear safety equipment? Do they have safety riding courses near you? Explain to them that you understand how they are dangerous. Show them the safety equipment that is available and how it can protect you.

Does your father know how to work on them? If so you could suggest an old one that needs rebuilding and ask your dad to help you learn the mechanics of them. Assuming you don't already know.
Thanks for the reply ! I will definatly look into it,that is what I've been trying to think of actually ! Everyone knows that it is dangerous so proving that it isn't will be useless so it might be better to show them how I will stay safe and equipments I will wear so that I could be more secure.

The bad part is that safety quad training isn't available where I live so there's that ...

Old 06-13-2013, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I couldn't put it much better than j_mauld did. ATVs aren't inherently safe. It's the operator that is the deciding factor that makes riding safe or unsafe. A lot of it has to do with safety equipment. For me, that means at the very least a work boot type shoe, helmet, and gloves. Others would include full body armor. The rest is the decision making process that dictates where you would ride, what types of trails you would attempt, do I keep going or do I turn back, etc. It's usually bad decisions that lead to bodily or ATV harm. Don't know how you can convince your parents other than showing them you're responsible on the rides you do get to take on others' machines.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

[QUOTE=CleanSweap;3193737]Since you're also a father, could you give me your point of view/arguments on the safety aspects on quads ? That's literally the only blank I have to fill up for them to say yes ! Please help

-Regards
[/QUOTE

I don't feel they are very dangerous, just wear a helmet, riding boots and watch out for things on trails/dunes.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
I couldn't put it much better than j_mauld did. ATVs aren't inherently safe. It's the operator that is the deciding factor that makes riding safe or unsafe. A lot of it has to do with safety equipment. For me, that means at the very least a work boot type shoe, helmet, and gloves. Others would include full body armor. The rest is the decision making process that dictates where you would ride, what types of trails you would attempt, do I keep going or do I turn back, etc. It's usually bad decisions that lead to bodily or ATV harm. Don't know how you can convince your parents other than showing them you're responsible on the rides you do get to take on others' machines.
Yes that is what I will try to explain to them, the driver and his decisions determine whether it's infact safe or not,most of the time ... !

I will also talk to them about the safety gears that I will always wear and never remove.

Thank you for your help and wish me good luck ! I am going to team up with my sister for this one !

Old 06-13-2013, 09:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

[QUOTE=Loki1699;3193771]
Originally Posted by CleanSweap
Since you're also a father, could you give me your point of view/arguments on the safety aspects on quads ? That's literally the only blank I have to fill up for them to say yes ! Please help

-Regards
[/QUOTE

I don't feel they are very dangerous, just wear a helmet, riding boots and watch out for things on trails/dunes.
Thank you for the help ! I will be updating you guys on what happens !

-Cheers !

Old 06-13-2013, 01:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Do you have a driver License? If so go place with your parent and ask to driver and even when they say know keep asking or say hay let me show you I can be responsible enough to driver a car . Then once you show them that you can say lets talk about a atv I can drive and i will be responsible with a atv. I to grow up in the 80's and I to was on my parent for a 3 wheeler a Honda 110 1985 I was I think 13 might have been 14 and like scooter said in the 80's there was a lot of people getting hurt hell 20/20 the tv show did a story on this you can find it on you tube. My point is I was ride two years before I got my driver license believe or not by ride and knowing the dangers it made me a better driver My parents later in life said that when I started driving they did not worried like they did with my younger brother he was not allow to ride MY ATV that was mine LOL. But by the time he start to take a interested in atv he was driving I don't know why just work that way good luck

Old 06-13-2013, 01:35 PM
Former Sponsor

just tell your parents you want to go to mmi and learn how to work on motorcycles and it would be to your advantage to buy one and start learning how the work on them

Old 06-13-2013, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Atv Galaxy
a fathers point of view..
my kids are well behaved, have good grades and don't get in much trouble. a few years ago i got tired of my son riding my ltr450 so I took him to the dealer and bought him a z400, then I piced up a long traver kit, elka suspenion, asv, houser, and a few lonestar parts for it. My son got good use out of the quad and I enjoyed him having fun out there.
As long as he maintained a good attitude and good grades I didn't have a problem spending a few bucks..

You can spend a few bucks on me if you want dad.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:03 PM
Former Sponsor

lol my kids friends wanted me to adopt them...

Old 06-13-2013, 04:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Spazzzz
Do you have a driver License? If so go place with your parent and ask to driver and even when they say know keep asking or say hay let me show you I can be responsible enough to driver a car . Then once you show them that you can say lets talk about a atv I can drive and i will be responsible with a atv. I to grow up in the 80's and I to was on my parent for a 3 wheeler a Honda 110 1985 I was I think 13 might have been 14 and like scooter said in the 80's there was a lot of people getting hurt hell 20/20 the tv show did a story on this you can find it on you tube. My point is I was ride two years before I got my driver license believe or not by ride and knowing the dangers it made me a better driver My parents later in life said that when I started driving they did not worried like they did with my younger brother he was not allow to ride MY ATV that was mine LOL. But by the time he start to take a interested in atv he was driving I don't know why just work that way good luck
Thank you for the reply , I guess every parent has their own mentality towards ATV's. I will be looking into what you said so that I could use it to my own advantage !

Quick Reply: Convincing Parents to get an ATV ?