General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Convincing Parents to get an ATV ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 06:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Convincing Parents to get an ATV ?

Hey guys this is my first time on this site !

I hope you read this fully and understand my situation so that you could fully comprehend what I need , thank tou !

So I will be laying down everything so you could get some perspective on what is going on : I am a 17 year old guy who loves quads and I've been doing them since I was 9-10 years old in the Dunes (Rentals). I was and still am so in love with those machines and I think about them all the time since the first time I rode one. I started off by riding the smaller ATV's ( 90 cc ) and now I ride 250cc ATV's and I still can't stop thinking about them. So you know I asked my parents to get me one , I am not spoiled and I work hard at school and get amazing results and I respect them and all that . At first they both agreed but later on for a reason I can't find , they started to talk about the safety issues and I tried hard to convince/persuade them but they keep on bringing up the story of a kid that died nearby on an ATV ... I get it , it's dangerous you can't neglect that but it's my passion and I've never gotten into an accident in my 7 years of riding and since I am 17 i've turned out to be really responsible and learn how to manage almost everything in my life but I can't seem to control these sudden surges I have to get one and just modify it make it my own and go riding in the sand dunes for hours ! It's stuck in my brain ... once more they said that we live kind of far from the dunes but it's a max 30 min drive and the location we live in (Gigantic compound) actually allows quads on the road through out the day ... but it is secure financial wise so we can dis-consider that.

So what I really need from you guys is some really persuasive/convincing arguments !

I am counting on you guys ! Thank you.
-Regards

Old 06-11-2013, 06:24 PM
Former Sponsor

show them the honda commercial.. I wanna ride

Old 06-11-2013, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Are you working? When my son wanted to get a better quad than I had provided he put money into it and understood that we were making a loan to him to buy a good condition used quad. He paid back every penny. Maybe if you get a job and pay them off they'd be more likely to want to go for it.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I was a young teenager many years ago, my passion was much like yours to get a three wheeler. Much like you, my parents were concerned about the safety issues. This was the mid '80s, and there was a lot to do about atv safety in the news. Over the course of about 18 months I managed to convince my parents to look into buying one. I was persistent in asking, but tried not to be annoying. As I was only 13 at the time, I couldn't really do much to earn money. However I used what money I did have to buy every dirtbike and atv mag I could. I peppered my walls with posters from said mags, and made it a point to let my parents see me constantly rereading those mags.

Ultimately, when my parents finally decided to start looking at machines, we ended up going with quads because they were "safer." The main factor that brought my folks on board though was the father/son time we were going to be able to share. My parents ended up getting two quads, and I rode with my dad all the time. We were able to use the machines for trail riding, snow plowing, hunting, etc.

My advice to you, start saving money to make your own purchase. Do your research and know what you want and why. Be committed to buying all the safety equipment necessary up front, even before purchasing a machine. Try to get one or more of your parents hooked on the idea of spending quality time with you. Take the atv safety course. Look for other uses for the machine besides recreation. Get your parents to ride along on some more rental trips. Be prepared to respect your parents wishes. ATVing will be around for a long time, and it is always something you can come back to.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

buy your own..

Old 06-11-2013, 10:43 PM
Former Sponsor

More importantly, get quality riding gear

Old 06-12-2013, 06:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Scooter86
When I was a young teenager many years ago, my passion was much like yours to get a three wheeler. Much like you, my parents were concerned about the safety issues. This was the mid '80s, and there was a lot to do about atv safety in the news. Over the course of about 18 months I managed to convince my parents to look into buying one. I was persistent in asking, but tried not to be annoying. As I was only 13 at the time, I couldn't really do much to earn money. However I used what money I did have to buy every dirtbike and atv mag I could. I peppered my walls with posters from said mags, and made it a point to let my parents see me constantly rereading those mags.

Ultimately, when my parents finally decided to start looking at machines, we ended up going with quads because they were "safer." The main factor that brought my folks on board though was the father/son time we were going to be able to share. My parents ended up getting two quads, and I rode with my dad all the time. We were able to use the machines for trail riding, snow plowing, hunting, etc.

My advice to you, start saving money to make your own purchase. Do your research and know what you want and why. Be committed to buying all the safety equipment necessary up front, even before purchasing a machine. Try to get one or more of your parents hooked on the idea of spending quality time with you. Take the atv safety course. Look for other uses for the machine besides recreation. Get your parents to ride along on some more rental trips. Be prepared to respect your parents wishes. ATVing will be around for a long time, and it is always something you can come back to.
Thank you for your long and thoughtful answer I will be definatly looking into it ! The problem is I live in Qatar and you can't work here when you're 17 years . Working starts from the age of 21 so I can't get a job although I've been looking into it ! I will definatly startt buying mags and putting posters on my walls in my room . I got some flyers from quad businesses and put them always in the living room table and I know they look at them since they always move from the position i leave it on . I will start telling my mother how this might helps me and my dad bond since he also loves anything that has an engine ! I also look around the internet trying to find used quads in good condition for reasonable price ...

I have one more request, I really need some arguments that would prove my parents that quads aren't that dangerous (although we all know they are). I can say that ATV's are dangerous when they're on the wrong hands etc... But beside that I have nothing ...

Thank you!

Old 06-12-2013, 06:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Sladester2
buy your own..
It's not that easy, there aren't any jobs for people under 21 where I live !

Old 06-12-2013, 06:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Are you working? When my son wanted to get a better quad than I had provided he put money into it and understood that we were making a loan to him to buy a good condition used quad. He paid back every penny. Maybe if you get a job and pay them off they'd be more likely to want to go for it.
Sorry but I can't get a job where I live (Qatar) untill I'm 21 ..

Old 06-12-2013, 07:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do your parents ride with you? If not, you could take that route. Convince one or both of them to ride with you. It is safer to ride in a small group.

Quick Reply: Convincing Parents to get an ATV ?