General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

What's the best utility ATV???

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's nothing like riding a fat girl TLC lol. A 200 pound difference will make a big difference when talking machines under 1000 pounds.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:24 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by brumbear
I like the heavier machines gearing and tires will cure what ails the heavy machine. The light machine may be ok in certain situations but the majority is plain to see
Wow, you think tires and gearing make a machine lighter? That's like saying Rosie O' Donnell isn't fat so long as she drinks Diet Coke.

You really ought to ride something other than a bloated Polaris to see what a machine that doesn't weigh half a ton can do!

Old 10-15-2014, 01:36 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by HondaR24
It's nothing like riding a fat girl TLC lol. A 200 pound difference will make a big difference when talking machines under 1000 pounds.
Agreed.

My buddy's Can Am weighs almost exactly 200 pounds more than my Kawie and when we put our machines on the trailer, I can slide the back end of my machine around by myself. My buddy requires my help to get his machine parallel to mine. That's just one little example for those who don't think there is a difference in 200 pounds.

It's actually quite alarming that there are folks who dont mind the new trend to make atv's as heavy as possible. Pretty soon, there won't be much difference between atv's and SxS. Just one will have handlebars and the other will have a steering wheel!

Old 10-15-2014, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And I'll add this aint nobody making songs bout skinny chicks

Old 10-15-2014, 03:38 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by kick start
Wow, you think tires and gearing make a machine lighter? That's like saying Rosie O' Donnell isn't fat so long as she drinks Diet Coke.

You really ought to ride something other than a bloated Polaris to see what a machine that doesn't weigh half a ton can do!
You know here is one you should think on... (Bite me)
No I don't think tires and gearing make it lighter they make it better, reading is fundamental...

Old 10-15-2014, 06:01 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by brumbear
You know here is one you should think on... (Bite me)
No I don't think tires and gearing make it lighter they make it better, reading is fundamental...
No need to get hostile! Just couldn't figure out how someone could think that changing tires and springs could possibly make up for a machine being overweight. Tires and springs will help with the performance, but a heavy machine will still be plagued by all the other things I mentioned in my earlier post. Weight is weight no matter how bad we wish Sir Isaac was wrong...

Old 10-15-2014, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

Yep and clearance is clearance longer suspension is heavier 4 wheel drive is better but heavier than 2 if your trail riding, storage is storage can't tell ya how many lighter faster machines I have plugged a tire for on the trails, I am not getting hostile I even wished you good luck in your purchase, a little put off maybe but hostile nah. There is also shaft over chain for a few reasons heavier yes better IDK I think so but chains have merit. Then there is tires wider tires and larger tires give you less ground pressure which equates to Viola a lighter machine. Research OST KETTEN

Old 10-15-2014, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

I however would have went with lighter on this one
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=557916290913015
stole it from the Polaris site it's a good laugh

Old 10-15-2014, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

Weight isn't the most important thing on a 4x4, sometimes it is actually useful like when towing or plowing snow. When you add power, everything in the driveline and chassis has to be beefed up to accommodate. There really is no say around it. I was just pointing out that 200 pounds could certainly be felt when manhandling a machine. Regardless of the weight, a renegade will still run all over the trail on a mid sized 4x4

Old 10-15-2014, 10:58 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by HondaR24
When you add power, everything in the driveline and chassis has to be beefed up to accommodate. There really is no say around it.
Yes, it can be a vicious cycle. Add power, add weight. Then you add more power to compensate for the weight, and on and on.....

But some folks have figured out how to beat it. Look at all the racing disciplines right now. Almost all of them have gone to carbon fiber to save weight. It's easier to cut out 100 pounds by using lighter materials than it is to add HP to the engine to compensate. And it helps on the other end too.....braking, handling, turning, etc etc. Even ATV racers are following suit. They take off the racks, remove the headlights, and take off the storage compartments. And it not just beneficial in racing, it's everywhere....well, I guess unless you're plowing or trying to winch out your buddy's half ton behemoth from a snow bank with your 600 pound atv!

Quick Reply: What's the best utility ATV???