General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Octane booster

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 03:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Octane booster

Hey guys, was over at a friends the other day and saw he had this like blue bottle of Klotz octane booster. He said this stuff is pretty awesome and he hasnt had a problem with it. Just wanted to see how many of you guys use it or have used it. Wanted to get some real voices of experience and not just a friend blowing smoke.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:25 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most ATVs only need 87 octane. Using octane booster to get a higher rating than what the manufacturer calls for is a waste of money unless you've had work done to increase the compression.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

I have always had good luck with Klotz products. Interested in if this works also. Is your friend running a high comp. piston?

Old 02-07-2015, 08:35 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
Most ATVs only need 87 octane. Using octane booster to get a higher rating than what the manufacturer calls for is a waste of money unless you've had work done to increase the compression.
I was going to start running 91octane in my atv (also planned on adding a little sea foam product to the gas and oil for a little while to clean it up), would this benefit at all?
Just picked this atv up a few weeks ago, and there was little to no rgular maintenance done on this, so I want to bring this puppy back to life!

Old 02-07-2015, 10:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Originally Posted by LittleSleeper
I was going to start running 91octane in my atv (also planned on adding a little sea foam product to the gas and oil for a little while to clean it up), would this benefit at all?
Just picked this atv up a few weeks ago, and there was little to no rgular maintenance done on this, so I want to bring this puppy back to life!
The sea foam may help. 91 octane does nothing unless your engine has high compression to where it would have pre ignition [knock] on 87 or 89 octane.

Old 02-07-2015, 04:18 PM
Moto Psycho

A lot of people think more octane = more performance but the only thing it does is prevent knock that most ATVs won't have anyway. Just use whatever grade of gas the owner's manual says to. I add sea foam and sta-bil to my gas in the fall because I only use it to plow in winter and won't use a whole tank full of gas. It keeps the gas good until spring. I don't usually put anything in the rest of the year but will sometimes throw a little sea foam in there. I never add anything to the oil.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Hi everyone,

The first thing you should do is check your owners manual or call up the manufacturer. If you can get the quality of gas they recommend, you probably don't necessarily need an octane booster.

Our octane booster is also a very good fuel system cleaner. We recommend it be used when you take your ATV out on a trip and are unsure what quality of fuel you will be buying. Not just because of octane rating but because of turnover of that gas. If it has been sitting for a while, there is a good chance that something like 104+ Octane Boost will provide benefit.

As for other additives, be wary of any one product that makes many claims. It is more than likely that if a product has a laundry list of claims, it won't perform any one of them well.

Have a great day!

Old 02-09-2015, 09:27 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

If you Google it, this goes for cars as well . There is zero benefit for a any motor designed to run on Regular gas to run High test. It's just money out the window.

Believe your manual, its not trying to screw you.

The only thing I own that states High Octane (Only) is my 165hp 2012 800R e-tec Ski-Doo which cost me $8000 Canadian used ($12,000 new), so I just play it safe and use high test from the pump, not regular gas with octane boost experimenting.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:36 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

the only thing you will notice is a different exhaust smell. i tried high octane for a while in my machines was not worth it

Old 02-09-2015, 09:53 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by TLC
my 165hp 2012 800R e-tec Ski-Doo
*drool* Now that would be a fun toy!

Quick Reply: Octane booster