General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Best 450 project?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 10:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best 450 project?

Last year I had a YFZ450X with a tuner and baffle removed but unfortunately I had to sell it to help pay for my truck. Now, I'm looking to build another 450. I'm looking for around 50-55hp, good handling (long travel), and reliability. What I am asking is what you all think the best platform is. It will be a project so I'm planning on buying a semi-warn out atv, and going through the motor. On a honda, I'd have to buy A arms, an axle, and shocks along with whatever has to be done for my desired power level. on a Suzuki, I wouldn't need the A arms or extended axle, just shocks. I also heard they ,ale big power easily. The more I look at these, the more appealing they seem. I've heard the kawasakis are hard to make power with, and I'd need all the same suspension mods as the Honda would get. A carbed yfz is also in question. How easy are these to make power with? A few of my friends have long travel YFZs and they all handle great except they feel powerless. Another friend has a Honda with HRC kit and it, to me, is much comfortable then both the carbed and fuel injected YFZs. I've never rode a Suzuki though. Just know I love the long travel from the factory and heard they make easy power. I'm really leaning toward a TRX or LTR but I need imput

Old 10-22-2015, 10:53 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read many shoot outs with 450 motocross which use the same motors and power wise they are all neck and neck.

In a 2010 shootout the KTM was the only carb model in the group and had the best power delivery. 2010 KTM 450 SX-F Comparison - Motorcycle USA so don't get to hung up with the efi thing.

Initially, bottom-to-mid power feels the mellowest even compared to the Honda and Yamaha, but as the revs increase the KTM comes alive pumping out the most power for about 1000 revs before the Kawasaki takes over. Keep your wrist locked and where the EFI bikes are stalling out, the KTM just keeps pulling all the way to the rev limiter with class-leading top end.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't want to do much with suspension, go Zuk or Yam. Aftermarket they will all be close. Honda has some great builders. I am a big Yamaha fan, can't really say I ever felt it lacked power, and they are pretty durable overall. I wish they still made the ltr, from what I have seen, they are pretty sick. Probably what I would buy IF I were looking AND they still were making it.