General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Mounting winch questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016 | 11:53 PM
Super Quad Patrol

Lol.. cold day no.. that was the problem the sun was shining and made the snow soft. Time I was out I was fown to a t shirt. Ya I carry several snach blocks, shackles, extensions, tow straps, and tow ropes. One minor problem was I left my long straps in the truck from getting the truck stuck the weekend before so I was 10 feet short of being able to double up my line right of the start and getting close to a good tree.. it was just one of those days...lol.

Old 03-13-2016 | 12:20 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Zrock
Lol.. cold day no.. that was the problem the sun was shining and made the snow soft. Time I was out I was fown to a t shirt. Ya I carry several snach blocks, shackles, extensions, tow straps, and tow ropes. One minor problem was I left my long straps in the truck from getting the truck stuck the weekend before so I was 10 feet short of being able to double up my line right of the start and getting close to a good tree.. it was just one of those days...lol.
Yup, I hate those days

Days like that are what causes me to carry around 200lbs of crap I'll probably never need

Old 03-13-2016 | 09:53 AM
Pro Rider

All I can say is WOW.. that is some setup on your machine, everything but the kitchen sink and for that you probably just haven't gotten that far! However I can see why you think your machine is slow....take some of that weight off and see how much it speeds up...LOL

Old 03-13-2016 | 10:23 AM
Super Quad Patrol

His machine is slow because its a old king quad. Those things were a power house workhorse. Its amazing what those old king quads will go through. The gf had one and it would go anyware. Even when we broke axle shafts it would still work its way out easily.

You know the rule... if you dont pack it thats the day you will need it. You have quite the setup.

Old 03-13-2016 | 03:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
All I can say is WOW.. that is some setup on your machine, everything but the kitchen sink and for that you probably just haven't gotten that far! However I can see why you think your machine is slow....take some of that weight off and see how much it speeds up...LOL
Perrysburg OH? I used to live in Toledo! Small world Where do you ride up there? lol

Yeah, it's heavy. I think it's close to 900lbs. I couldn't believe how fast the weight went up. But I beefed the engine up too and it was pretty quick before I added all the weight.

It's been a few years, but from memory, I added a 10.5:1 Arias piston and bored it out to 69.5mm and I think it has a massive 76mm stroke, so just that 1mm overbore added a lot of cc's. I ported the head, redesigned the exhaust, installed a 250s quadsport cam, stiffer valve springs, and put a bigger carb on with clampon filter. Probably some other stuff I can't remember. It was a fun project!

But even with all the power and no extra weight, it just wasn't designed for speed. The front shocks only have a couple inches of travel and the back is that goofy single wishbone setup where the camber is all over the place. I have to lift my foot a mile to shift gears and all those gears inside churning that oil really start to slow it down the faster I go. Even in high range, it will only go 45-50. Maybe 55 at redline, idk. It will feel faster than it is.

It's designed to go slow. I always said, "it's the most fun you will ever have at 1 mph!"

Old 03-13-2016 | 03:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Here's part of the reason it's so heavy. I think that's 50lbs of lead.

Name:  0219030052_zpsc0ab3c68.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  84.5 KB

I got the idea when my friend had his 660 raptor over here. I couldn't keep the front wheels on the ground to steer, so I added that lead. It helped... some

Name:  0502001532.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  457.6 KB

There's probably close to 100lbs of stainless plate under it.

Name:  1020022357a.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  368.2 KB

One time I was riding and ran over a tree that broke and rammed itself into the front a-arm. I couldn't lift the machine off the tree and I couldn't move. I had to get my truck to pull it off. So then came 100lbs of steel lol

Name:  1020021404.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  393.9 KB

Name:  1020022328.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  351.0 KB

Here I am next to a mudpro

Name:  1201021309_zpssufem8rq.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  397.6 KB

They weigh about the same. They go about the same speed too, but the 700 gets there quicker lol

The mudpro will run over just about anything being so high off the ground, but not so good for climbing hills and off-camber situations. Personally, I like the low center of gravity the king has. There isn't a lot of mud in the mountains around here to justify being up so high, especially in light of all the hills. But the mudpro is a beast and a lot sportier and nimble than you'd expect.

Old 03-14-2016 | 01:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

45mph is faster than you'll ever need to go for trail riding. I doubt you would want to try to go any faster if you could. I very seldom go even that fast on my Griz and it will top 60 mph. Most of the time 30-35 mph is top speed. I have opened it up a few times and its really sketchy at high speeds, front end gets squirrelly. I basically just wont do it anymore, full throttle is only for short bursts like climbing a steep hill or getting through some mud. I was thinking, what happens if I blow a tire at this speed or simply hit a bump too hard. The thought of having a 650 lb machine roll over on top of me at high speed didn't sound too good.

Old 03-14-2016 | 10:28 PM
Moto Psycho

Originally Posted by greg74
45mph is faster than you'll ever need to go for trail riding. I doubt you would want to try to go any faster if you could. I very seldom go even that fast on my Griz and it will top 60 mph. Most of the time 30-35 mph is top speed. I have opened it up a few times and its really sketchy at high speeds, front end gets squirrelly. I basically just wont do it anymore, full throttle is only for short bursts like climbing a steep hill or getting through some mud. I was thinking, what happens if I blow a tire at this speed or simply hit a bump too hard. The thought of having a 650 lb machine roll over on top of me at high speed didn't sound too good.
This is what my friends don't seem to get and they'll do 50+ MPH down the road and I have to keep up or get lost. Plus my quad starts wandering around when I go fast. The next time I don't think I'll go that fast. They can wait for me.

Old 03-14-2016 | 10:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by greg74
You need a sport quad that weighs 350lb

Some of those bigger 4x4 quads have the caster backwards so it gets squirrelly. I almost killed myself on a 700KQ when the handlebars locked and I couldn't move them, then when I finally got them free, they went all the way to full lock in the other direction. That kept repeating until I finally got the beast to slow down enough. I gave it back to my friend and never rode it again.

The trails here have been cleared and maintained by a bulldozer, so I can hit 60 pretty easy with a sport. I had a spot set up at the house where I'd drag race against the clock to compare engine mods and such. I think it was around 350 ft and I could get darn close to 60 in that stretch. Certainly within 500ft, which isn't much on a 20 mile trail.

But yeah, when you get that fast on a trail on the edge of a mountain, it gets hair-raising! That's why I like it But you have to have the right machine!

Old 03-14-2016 | 11:31 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I'd be amazed if someone blew a tire and it resulted in catastrophe. I think there is a bigger worry getting hit by falling camels

Tires are tough, especially the 6 ply varieties on the bigger quads.

Here is a 2 ply stock tire with a stick in it.

Name:  1023001507.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  685.1 KB

I didn't have any trouble riding home. Actually, once up to speed, the tire doesn't need air. It doesn't take much to hold up a quad. I usually run between 1 and 3 psi on my sports and 5-10 on my ute (due to weight).

I couldn't count all the flat tires I've driven on. A couple came off the rim! It's a pain in the butt trying to get a bead to set with a hand pump!

I've blown a few tires on my truck. They blow because they get too hot on the interstate at 80mph for 200 miles. I try to keep them aired up to the max so the rubber doesn't flex and heat up. But an atv just isn't heavy enough or fast enough for long enough. As long as the tires aren't rotted, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm much more concerned with landing a jump wrong or slamming a rock and bending my rim. I've never sweated bullets due to a tire.

Quick Reply: Mounting winch questions