General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

98 polaris trailboss help! Plz!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 12:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 polaris trailboss help! Plz!

So here the dealio, my bike was working perfectly fine. I parked it for 30 mins and when i tried to start it randomly wouldnt start. I pulled and pulled and pulled some more until i snapped the pull cord. I figured huh.. It must be flooded. Being in the field and with out tools I geniously loosened the clamps on the carb on both sides and pulled the carb out still attached to the throttle cable loosened the drain plug and reinstalled it. Changed the spark plug and then hit the electric start bam this bike fires up in a fury! Swweeet! No not sweet now this sob is revving to high heaven I had to shut it off because i felt as if it would blow the engine. Now the bike starts but I think i messed the throttle because it is just wide open. I tried adjusting it but im not 100% sure how.. The throttle is brand new and has been on since spring is it fried just because i pulled the carb out with it attached or what? I wish I could bring it to the shop because I am not handy but the closest date I can find is 3 weeks and I need it now. How do I fix the throttle to get it where it needs to be nice and calm idle? And how do i fix a pullstart on a 98 trailboss. I tried wrapping a new cord on and had it working for 5 or so pulls but then the spring would just loosen out and the string aould stop retracting. But then i could wind it back up and it would work for a bit then fail again weird. Is it broken?

Old 05-10-2016, 05:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

See if these two videos help on the carb.Sounds like a lean condition,could be trash under the float needle restricting gas to the bowl after you drained it, or you've got the carb slide cable in a bind causing it to rev.
Plus here's a carb section pdf from the manual you can look over.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...U2gGlaHJWSIlbA

Old 05-12-2016, 08:16 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
See if these two videos help on the carb.Sounds like a lean condition,could be trash under the float needle restricting gas to the bowl after you drained it, or you've got the carb slide cable in a bind causing it to rev.Mikuni carb series #2 Disassembly and cleaning - YouTube Mikuni Carb Series # 3 assembly video with details. - YouTube
Plus here's a carb section pdf from the manual you can look over.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...U2gGlaHJWSIlbA

Thank you old Polaris tech. I love the idea of solving my atv problems. But.. I am a crappy mechanic never seem to actually fix anything.