General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Why not ride double?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 09:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Virginia Law

All Terrain Vehicle
(ATV) Laws
No ATV shall be operated:
• On any public highway, or other public
property, except as authorized by proper
authorities or to the extent necessary to cross
a public highway by the most direct route.
• By any person under the age of 16, except that
children between the ages of 12 and 16 may
operate ATVs powered by engines of no less
than 70 cubic centimeters nor more than 90
cubic centimeters displacement.
• By any person unless he is wearing a protective
helmet of a type approved by the
Superintendent of State Police for use by
motorcycle operators.
• On another person’s property without the
written consent of the owner of the property
or as explicitly authorized by law.
• With a passenger at any time, unless vehicle
is designed and equipped to be operated with
more than one rider.
The above does not apply to members of the
household or employees of the owner or lessee of

Old 06-23-2016, 09:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex G.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephKaisner
Yes I have rolled seven times as of last week.

Like I said Joseph along with nachop & Scooter86 and everyone that has responded, it's about the safety of your passenger and them not being able to see or react quick enough to protect themselves. I would not want to be your parent when you and/or your passenger are brought to the hospital for injuries sustained on a 1up ATV while riding 2up.
You seem to be fishing for our blessing to keep riding as you have described and I personally don't think your going to get it. Ride as you will while your alone on your machine as long as your wearing your protective equipment. But riding as you've described with a passenger on a machine that is not designed to hold 2 people IS DANGEROUS. I wish you the best and safe riding.
Sorry not fishing for anybody's blessing! Only trying to make you guys elaborate on the subject so that I can understand what you think.
I've noticed some very interesting things: people who use atvs for fun say 2up is bad. People who use atvs for work say 2up is fine.

Joseph Kaisner

Old 06-23-2016, 10:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by JosephKaisner
Sorry not fishing for anybody's blessing! Only trying to make you guys elaborate on the subject so that I can understand what you think.
I've noticed some very interesting things: people who use atvs for fun say 2up is bad. People who use atvs for work say 2up is fine.

Joseph Kaisner
I'm sorry I'm not intending to come across as cocky. I'm genuinely interested and if you think it is too dangerous please tell me and I won't do it again.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:42 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Riding responsibly with two people shouldn't be an issue. There are riding areas that prohibit this unless the atv was manufactured as a two up machine.

Riding with a passenger on two wheels is asking for trouble. Any accidents can be a very costly learning experience.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Moral of the story here, riding 2up is ok in easy terrain at moderate speeds. If the terrain is challenging or if you want to go fast, leave the passenger at home. And no wheelies EVER with a passenger on the back, you're just asking for trouble and a possible lawsuit for your family if the passenger gets seriously hurt. You've been lucky so far but I would advise keeping the stunts to a minimum with a passenger on back.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by greg74
Moral of the story here, riding 2up is ok in easy terrain at moderate speeds. If the terrain is challenging or if you want to go fast, leave the passenger at home. And no wheelies EVER with a passenger on the back, you're just asking for trouble and a possible lawsuit for your family if the passenger gets seriously hurt. You've been lucky so far but I would advise keeping the stunts to a minimum with a passenger on back.
Thanks a lot. I will!

Old 06-23-2016, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Another issue is with a passenger they must lean with the driver. If they don't they run the risk of messing up the center of gravity to the point where, despite the driver's best efforts, you roll.

The only drawbacks to me with the 2-up machines is tight trails where you have to weave in and out of trees. On a 2-up you have to prepare for the next turn far sooner than the 1-up. Secondly, your break-over angle is less on a 2-up. Kind of like the difference between a single cab pickup and a crew cab. That longer wheelbase will scrape more often than the same model single rider machine.

I agree that, if you have that many rollovers, I wouldn't risk a passenger at this point.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Please consider that my roll last week was the first since I was 8. Now 14.

I am fairly skilled and when I ride double my passenger always holds onto me very tightly so that I can shift their weight as well.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

The sad part is if you look at real time statistics just as many have had serious injury and death from wearing helmets as from not wearing helmets.
A helmet does not keep you from snapping your neck or getting your chest crushed and these two are the main causes of death in ATV accidents. Your odds increase greatly whether you think your skilled or not, the facts speak for themselves. Operator misjudgement is number one in mistakes. I have a son that works as an emergency tech for life flight, and the stories of atv accidents are overwhelming, most from just simple carelessness and "I didn't think that would happen to me" But it does sooner or later, then everyone wants to sue someone for their mistake. So the mfgrs were forced to make these rules and of course big brother government has to fall in line rather than make/force people to be responsible for their own actions. I you do ever have an accident while riding double on your one person machine, just be prepared for a whopping lawsuit and it will be a biggie! Oh yes.....your insurance will not cover it

Old 06-24-2016, 06:48 AM
Trailblazer

All I was going to do was replace the smaller 250 I used at the race track getting the GF back to the trailer and do a little hunting . She hunts.
THE VERY first time she jumped on the back, I turned the wheels bike went straight. To much weight on the back. If the motor was under the tank it would put more weight on the front. You are going to get in a bind quickly when your not steering the ATV. Its going to go where it wants to. I bought the second bike.

At low speeds, on good surface , it might be ok but who is not going to want to find out that point. LOL

They make a touring which is just for that reason. Longer, more weight on the front tires.
You can DO anything. Just a matter of when its going to turn around on you.
Just be safe and keep it low speed if you do.