General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Why not ride double?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 11:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why not ride double?

Everyone says that ridding double on an atv is dangerous. But why do they say that?

My friends and I ride kawasaki bayous, polaris magnums, polaris sportsmen, and Yamaha grizzly's double all of the time. And it doesn't seem to be a problem.

When I ride a sportsman 500 efi with a passenger, we are not crowded and on visual inspection all of the weight is ahead of the rear axle. I generally ride for an hour or more a day and when we ride double I have my passenger (one of my friends: also a skilled rider) hold on to me and lean with me. We have practiced this so much that we can do three minute side wheelies.

I understand the logic, but a skilled rider, whether a passenger or driver should sense what the four wheeler needs to be balanced and should move accordingly.

Please tell me if you think that I'm gonna die because I appreciate other peoples thoughts.

P. S. I'm 14

Joseph Kaisner

Old 06-22-2016, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3 minute side wheelies? LOL
I don't think your going to die, but you will get hurt sooner or later!
But if you understand the logic then you have your answer.
I ride 2 up on a 1 up machine whenever I need to, but my riding style is much different cause I'm more worried about the safety of the person riding on the back 2up than I am of my safety 1up.

Cheers and good luck.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Casual riding is fine yes. Get into technical stuff where you have to shift your weight and that's when the 2 up riding becomes a problem. Going up and down steep hills and in in off camber stuff, you'll flip your machine riding double.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Going up steep hills is probably the most dangerous thing on a 1 person machine when you add a passenger. But, that being said you've probably done enough riding to know what works for you.

A 2-up machine is that much safer with the longer wheelbase. I'm a large, gravitationally challenged guy. If I have a passenger I'm a little cramped even with the 2-up Outlander Max. I don't think it would work as well for someone like me who is 6'3" and 335 lbs to ride a 1 person machine with a passenger. Knowing your own limits, wearing a helmet, gloves, and other protection, will help keep you from most injuries. But, I've honestly never met anyone that hasn't had some kind of crash, minor or major, that's been wheeling for a good amount of time. Trail surprises, weather conditions, trail conditions, fatigue, distractions, etc. all play into the situations that lead to crashes. I hope you can avoid them.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for responding! Yes I have rolled seven times as of last week. I wear a helmet so I suppose that it's because of me constantly pushing machines to their limits. I have read posts on some different threads where people talk like your a fool to ride 2up (why not just say double?).

Do you think that it is that irresponsible?

Old 06-22-2016, 03:49 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some of those ATVs have a warning that you can't ride them if you're under 16. Unless you're big for your age you shouldn't be riding them at all. You should have adult supervision too. It's the law in some states. Having a passenger moves your center of gravity back and increases the chances of flipping it over on a hill. I've had enough accidents on my own and think I would have more with a passenger.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
Some of those ATVs have a warning that you can't ride them if you're under 16. Unless you're big for your age you shouldn't be riding them at all. You should have adult supervision too. It's the law in some states. Having a passenger moves your center of gravity back and increases the chances of flipping it over on a hill. I've had enough accidents on my own and think I would have more with a passenger.
Thanks: but i feel that I'm skilled enough too ride most atvs, I've even driven my cousins raptor 700!
I think that any body with practice should be able to drive any machine. If I followed the principle that you are suggesting then I would be driving a sportsman 90. A little small for most farm work, wouldn't you agree?

Old 06-22-2016, 06:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forums JosephKaisner! As you have seen, riding double may not be an issue in a lot of situations. Do you agree that your ability to control the machine is noticeably limited though? I have done it and had no issues. I have also personally seen the results when someone pushed their luck to far. If nothing else, please recognize a passenger is in a very vulnerable position, as they often can not see what is going on well, and can not protect themselves in a crash as well as a single rider. Heck, I have been in plenty of hairy situations as a single rider, including some nasty crashes. Please stay safe and respect your machine. And for the record, I don't let my 14 or 17 y/o ride double, unless they are in the side by side!

Old 06-22-2016, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by JosephKaisner
Yes I have rolled seven times as of last week.
It would seem that you need more practice. It is a very good thing that you wear a helmet and never get on one without one. Based upon your comment of rolling seven times, you should not risk putting a passenger at risk.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:52 AM
Pro Rider

I understand the logic,

Quote:
Yes I have rolled seven times as of last week.

Like I said Joseph along with nachop & Scooter86 and everyone that has responded, it's about the safety of your passenger and them not being able to see or react quick enough to protect themselves. I would not want to be your parent when you and/or your passenger are brought to the hospital for injuries sustained on a 1up ATV while riding 2up.
You seem to be fishing for our blessing to keep riding as you have described and I personally don't think your going to get it. Ride as you will while your alone on your machine as long as your wearing your protective equipment. But riding as you've described with a passenger on a machine that is not designed to hold 2 people IS DANGEROUS. I wish you the best and safe riding.

Quick Reply: Why not ride double?