General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

ATV Winch's

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
That is very interesting as everything I have ever read on the Polaris drive system claims it to be a sort of 3 wheel drive system. However as an owner you should know best. In many articles it has been stated that diff lock was superior...hmm..perhaps just pushing another brand? Just another case of you can't believe everything you read
Up until a year or two ago, Honda was the only maker without a full locker of some sort in the front. Suzuki, Yamaha, and Arctic Cat have a similar system. You put it in 4wd and that gives you a limited slip front end. If you push a button, and then move a lever, you're in full locker mode up front. I think they had the limited slip feature because there were no power steering models until around 2007??? or so. In full locker mode it was a bit rough on some. With power steering it's not an issue to ride in full lock. Kawasaki has an odd system on their Brute Force. You put it in 4wd which, like the others puts you in limited slip front. But, on the Brute you have a little yellow lever on the left handlebar that you pull to progressively lock the front end. Personally, I don't want to hold that lever all the time when in need of a full lock up front. It could also be an issue when you're quad dips into a deep rut on the left side and you have to stand with both feet on the right floorboard. If you were to reach across to grab that lever, you could end up tipping to that side. I've heard rumors about an aftermarket fix that allows you to lock it back without having to hold on to it.

Long story, short, it's a matter of preference. The ones with the extra button and lever to move give you the ultimate control. The ones like Polaris and Can-Am are more, set it and forget it type systems.

Old 08-21-2016, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by greg74
I think the Can-Am system would be better if if were simply limited slip 4x4 like Suzuki, Yamaha, and Kawasaki and then you simply push another putton or switch and then it instantly becomes diff-lock instead of being a progressive locker. The Polaris system works well I guess. It is true diff-lock 4x4 so when its engaged, you have all 4 wheels pulling with full force. I'm sure there could be extreme conditions where it could get confused and not engage quickly enough or disengage when you don't want but those are rare.
On my son's 2009 they didn't have the Visco Lok Quick Engagement. The lag was very noticeable before the front tires started grabbing. He had his heart set on the Renegade so he lived with it. Honestly, even with the stock tires (more like a 450 race quad tire) he went through everything the rest of us did with more aggressive tires. The Quick Engagement system is much better. I've never really noticed any lag. Maybe a slight bit slower than the Polaris but close now.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

My current Kymco 450i is the only machine I have ever owned with a diff lock, test drove many others and was not impressed with the difficult turning when in diff lock mode, however there is very little difference in the steering on my machine with it on. Have found I can easily steer with one hand in diff lock without power steering. A prior machine was my Kawasaki Praire with full time 4wd. That was supposed to be a limited slip diff but when ever I was in deep mud all 4 wheels always turned, never had that bad boy stuck, but did pull out to many others to even count. I have only been out a few times on my UTV and have had to pull 5 different machines out of mud. Never have "had" to use the diff lock yet, but I do go in the mud and turn it on just to play with the feature. I have used it on a couple of knarly hill climbs in muddy situations, not sure if I would have needed it or not but didn't want to chance not making it up the steep hill. It is comical to find out the Polaris does have full 4 wheel drive because if you read most of the reviews on them "Polaris lacks a diff lock system" in all the reviews when compared to other machines.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's ice and snow I am worried about. Where I live it is fire lanes that go back into the woods and every trail almost is down hill and if I get back in there and I can't get out I have to climb up hill all the way back out. It could get bad it is is ice and deep snow. Some of the trails is about 2 miles from one end the the other end.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:51 AM
Off Road Builderaholic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's ice and snow I am worried about. Where I live it is fire lanes that go back into the woods and every trail almost is down hill and if I get back in there and I can't get out I have to climb up hill all the way back out. It could get bad it is is ice and deep snow. Some of the trails is about 2 miles from one end the the other end.
Then you should:
be prepared to stay the night
Be able to depend on your winch
Never go wheeling alone

in that order

Old 08-22-2016, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by kbbgood
One addition that would help is to get proper fitting tire chains. They give a great bite in ice and packed snow.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Something like this might come in handy https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-2...36%3A2500-6000. Would be a bit bulky to carry around but even if you needed to use it once and it worked, would be better than walking home. Could probably make your own out of some heavy duty rubber mats like we use at work to help lessen the strain of your back so workers don't have to work on solid concrete floors. I've thrown random logs and brush in ruts to get myself unstuck before. I was high centered and the front tires grabbing the logs was enough to get the quad moving and then unstuck.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:52 AM
Off Road Builderaholic

Have you guys ever considered snow tracks for your ATV's?
Sounds like the conditions are ripe for some Camoplast

Old 08-23-2016, 08:01 AM
Pro Rider

So to back on topic and quit bashing the different manufacturers 4x4 systems.

Champion makes a good inexpensive 3000lbs atv winch. It's gotten my machine and others out of some stucks with no problems. I think I got mine off Amazon for $100....

Old 08-23-2016, 08:33 AM
Off Road Builderaholic

What he said

CHAMPION POWER EQUIPMENT made in USA
Their winches are AWESOME

I have their 10,000# and a couple of 4500# on our rzr's
Very quiet, very smooth operating and great price.

Quick Reply: ATV Winch's