General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Can Our Pet Dog Go Riding Too

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 08:29 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can Our Pet Dog Go Riding Too

I wonder if any of you have ever taken your pet dog trail riding with you. I can see a padded cage strapped to the front rack. Maybe after a little while our smaller beagle would get used to the bouncing around. I'm talking sedate trail riding, not speeding or technical stuff, just sightseeing.

We hate to leave the dog home alone all day. Maybe some of you have rigged up a "dog box" for your ATV.

David

Old 12-25-2016, 08:53 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Our dog goes riding with us all the time. I built a frame for the front where she could lay down but she hated it would rather ride on the seat. Do not put the dog in a cage or use a leash to hold the dog on the machine. If the machine goes over your dog will not have a fighting chance. Once the machine is moving most dogs are smart enough not to jump off

Old 12-25-2016, 09:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know guys that take bear, bobcat and coyote hunting dogs with them, but usually, the box stays in the back of their pick up. Just remember beagles love to chase stuff, unless trained may not come back. The box could be made from plywood, with holes for plenty of fresh air. Dog will either love it or hate it.Make the box sturdy enough, that if it does go over, he'll be protected, you could even put thick carpeting/rug inside.

Old 12-25-2016, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Over this past summer we went riding at an old gravel pit that has been opened for an sport riding area. Met a fellow there with a RZR and he had his dog with him. Dog loved riding along even when racing fast and sliding around corners. He has a roll cage so his dog is strapped in but on an atv I don't think that would be a good idea as mentioned in a prior posting. Anyway the guy has special doggy goggles and a dust mask made for dogs so he doesn't breathe in all that dust. We followed him around for a bit just to see the dogs reaction and yes it was pretty cool. Back at the parking lot we were talking and he just said to the dog....want to go ridin" and the dog was up in his seat in a heartbeat with his tail waggin!

Old 12-25-2016, 12:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a setup a fellow we road with had for his dog. The dog wore one of those harness which also goes behind the front legs. Also the leash was short enough so the dog could not jump or bounce out of the basket, yet could still move around.

Old 12-25-2016, 01:44 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let the dog sit in your lap if he's not too big. When I did that with my dog he put his paws on my arm to hang on. I'm not sure if he liked it because I didn't do it much. One time I put his doggy bed on the rear rack and he laid there. I took him on really short rides like up and down the driveway. I don't know how he would have reacted on a trail.

Old 12-25-2016, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I would never think of bringing the beagle we used to have out on an ATV ride. We brought him in the boat with us fishing one time and he was constantly trying to jump out of the boat whenever he saw a chipmunk or squirrel on the shore.

I did see a guy with a plywood platform when we did the Paiute Trail in UT back in 2013. His dog just sat or laid on the platform. He even took some of the harder two track trails from what he said. We saw in about 3 or the 4 days we were there.

I guess it depends on the dog to me. Some will do well, some won't. Kind of like some dogs like the sound of a vacuum and others don't.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:50 AM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thank you for the pictures and sharing your experiences. Our beagle is cute to look at, but has a real small brain. She does tolerate the vacuum cleaner, but not the UPS driver or a fox in the backyard. And she is always on a leash. If she picks up a scent, she's gone. You need a pack of beagles to hunt rabbits as each beagle has their own idea of where the rabbit went. It reminds me of young kids playing soccer, all swarming around the ball, no one has a plan.

So this beagle basket idea might work for a sedate, sightseeing trail ride. Our beagle like to ride in the pickup, nose out the window and ears flapping in the breeze. We'll give her a trial ATV ride this spring in a custom made beagle basket.

David

Old 12-26-2016, 09:01 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
Over this past summer we went riding at an old gravel pit that has been opened for an sport riding area. Met a fellow there with a RZR and he had his dog with him. Dog loved riding along even when racing fast and sliding around corners. He has a roll cage so his dog is strapped in but on an atv I don't think that would be a good idea as mentioned in a prior posting. Anyway the guy has special doggy goggles and a dust mask made for dogs so he doesn't breathe in all that dust. We followed him around for a bit just to see the dogs reaction and yes it was pretty cool. Back at the parking lot we were talking and he just said to the dog....want to go ridin" and the dog was up in his seat in a heartbeat with his tail waggin!
Sounds like our dog... I cannot load the machines up until we are ready to go or the dog will sit at the door and wine. Even when we load up and are driving out the dog is wining and barking in the back of the truck..LOL