General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

What is faster?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 11:01 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good analogy. I've used similar myself. Two totally different animals.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you look at the hp ratings of new 4x4 trucks, they're not much less than a Corvette. The 2017 Ford Raptor has 450 hp with a revised ecoboost engine. I think 1000cc is excessive in a 4x4 quad but is fine in a much heavier utv. But most will still never get to use all that power. The new turbo machines like the Maverick X3 and Rzr turbo are good for wide open spaces only. I think something like a Brute Force 750 or Outlander 650 has more than enough power for 95% of atv buyers. My Brute Force 650 will top out at about 65 mph but I never have enough room to ever get it up to that speed. Something with strong low end torque is desirable in a 4x4 quad, as well as a 4x4 truck. The YXZ 1000's weakness is its low end power. Its only made to go fast. Try to do some leasurely trail riding and within a few months many have seen clutch failures.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by greg74
If you look at the hp ratings of new 4x4 trucks, they're not much less than a Corvette. The 2017 Ford Raptor has 450 hp with a revised ecoboost engine. I think 1000cc is excessive in a 4x4 quad but is fine in a much heavier utv. But most will still never get to use all that power. The new turbo machines like the Maverick X3 and Rzr turbo are good for wide open spaces only. I think something like a Brute Force 750 or Outlander 650 has more than enough power for 95% of atv buyers. My Brute Force 650 will top out at about 65 mph but I never have enough room to ever get it up to that speed. Something with strong low end torque is desirable in a 4x4 quad, as well as a 4x4 truck. The YXZ 1000's weakness is its low end power. Its only made to go fast. Try to do some leasurely trail riding and within a few months many have seen clutch failures.
Sure, my current and previous 2500 series trucks both make about 350hp. They also tipped the scales over 7000 pounds. Neither is ever going to be in contention to beat a c5 corvette in handling or acceleration in a machine that produces a similar roughly 350hp but weighing half at 3300 pounds. This is very equivalent to modern race/sport quads producing 45hp but weighing 350 bs 600 or more pounds for the average Ute. Suspension tuned for work and ride comfort vs handling and the ability to absorb big hits. Large tires vs low profile and softer rubber compounds for max grip, etc etc.

It isn't about the power they produce, but power to weight ratio and how that is translated to the ground. A lighter, leaner, easier to manipulate with body weight machine designed to carve and maintain a tight line or steer with the throttle is a hoot to ride. They handle nothing like a Ute. I rode a buddies kfx700 once for about 10 minutes at a small play mx track. Couldn't wait to get back on my YFZ. I had come to ride a vette. The truck is used to haul that little dirt racer.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I get what you're saying. Sport quads offer an experience nothing else can duplicate.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:26 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, I admit I've never ridden a sport quad. What I reviewed in Dirt Wheels 2017 buyer's guide showed the Can Am DS, Honda TRX, Yamaha Raptor and a few others. They look like the most of them were 250 to 450cc (except the Raptor) and weigh in between 350 and 425 pounds. Many of them are 5 speed manuals with chain drives. They look like fun and built for racing and the like.

Being new, I get a bit confused between a sport quad and the "lightweight" looking quad variants like the Renegade and the like.

And I bet sport quads are fun to ride. With all machines designed for speed, it takes experience to handle the thing.

David

Old 01-31-2017, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by dbj216
Okay, I admit I've never ridden a sport quad. What I reviewed in Dirt Wheels 2017 buyer's guide showed the Can Am DS, Honda TRX, Yamaha Raptor and a few others. They look like the most of them were 250 to 450cc (except the Raptor) and weigh in between 350 and 425 pounds. Many of them are 5 speed manuals with chain drives. They look like fun and built for racing and the like.

Being new, I get a bit confused between a sport quad and the "lightweight" looking quad variants like the Renegade and the like.

And I bet sport quads are fun to ride. With all machines designed for speed, it takes experience to handle the thing.

David
Been on a couple sport quads. They are light and quicker than their utility brothers. If you get stuck, you can pick up the rear and put it on firmer ground. We got tired of winching them up steep, rocky hills, out of mud, and snow, and constantly banging the rear skid plates on anything over 4-5" high. In our terrain, 4wd machines are king. It's all about where you are riding and the condition of the trails. That's why quads like the Renegade and Scrambler are pretty popular. A little lighter than the utility machines but with good ground clearance, and 4wd.