General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Average Speed on the Trails

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 03:54 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RedRocket204 and other have made some very good points. I'd like to add a couple more.

Stay on the trail. It sounds simple enough but people don't always do it. If you see a hill next to the trail that would make an awesome hill climb don't be tempted. Don't go off the trail for any other reason except to pull over so someone can pass. Going off the trail is one of the things that gets trails closed.

Watch where you're going. Again, it sounds simple enough but some people don't do it. One time I saw a dirt bike coming my way from a really long way across an open area. It was a one lane trail so I pulled over as far as I could against the bank and it should have been enough room for him to get by. I waited and waited and when he finally got to me he didn't slow down and didn't try to pull over until it was too late. He broke his shifter off on my tire. Instead of watching where he was going he said he was watching his front tire spin. ??? Me and my quad were okay but he had to drive from one trail system across a connector to another trail system without changing gears.

You have to learn to read the trail. Keep scanning from a fairly short distance in front of you to as far as you can see down the trail. Be sure to watch all the way from one side to the other. You'll have a lot less surprises if you do. Sometimes when you see a shadow on the trail it's just the shadow of a tree and sometimes it's a hole. The more experience you have the better you'll get at telling the difference. It's also another reason not to go fast and out-ride your ability.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:28 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you folks for very good advice. I really didn't know what to expect on the trail riding my new ATV. I know how much speed potential our ATVs have. I was concerned I would be way too slow compared to the average rider. I didn't want to be the "rookie" golfer in an experienced forsome holding everyone up.

Scooter86: Your advice is right on. I'm a cautious sort and rest assured I won't ride feeling unsafe. No one should, unless you are racing.

hydrex: I'm sure no passenger likes aggressive riding. I read an article about side by sides that suggested no one likes to ride along in one as it is frightening not knowing what the driver has in mind, especially in a RZR at 80 mph. It is like being in the passenger seat of our cars when teaching our teenagers to drive. Frightening.

RedRocket204: Thank you kindly for sharing your trailing riding experiences here in Colorado. We live in the same neck of the woods so to speak. The trail etiquette is similar to Minnesota snowmobile trail riding, which I have done. I might add I rode the trails on the snowmobile at no more than 20 mph. But faster across a frozen lake.

Zrock & Jumbo: Very good advice indeed. Thank you.

I think I'll be just fine on my first trail ride. If I hold up my group, so be it. Safety first. And thanks to all for helping me out.

David

Old 02-08-2017, 10:44 PM
Moto Psycho

If you can find an ATV safety course in your area TAKE IT. Your dealer may know something about them. If not you could try to find out from an ATV or motorcycle club. I was lucky. When I bought my quad Polaris paid for my safety course and then gave me either $50 or $100 credit to spend on accessories. I can't remember which it was after all this time.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:40 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
If you can find an ATV safety course in your area TAKE IT. Your dealer may know something about them. If not you could try to find out from an ATV or motorcycle club. I was lucky. When I bought my quad Polaris paid for my safety course and then gave me either $50 or $100 credit to spend on accessories. I can't remember which it was after all this time.

I got $100 check mailed to me.

Which was promptly claimed by my wife.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks jumbofrank! Yeah, going off trail is a big no no!

David,

Glad that is useful to you. Hopefully we can sync up at some point and go do a ride on some tamer stuff to get you started out on the trails. I may try and get out for a ride this Sunday, not sure yet as I have to fly out of town Monday morning for the week so may not have the time to go. But, I'm getting a bit of cabin fever and want to go ride my machine and there does appear to be some snow in the forecast for the non-high country but is not much at the moment.

Let me know if you are interested. I would need to go early in the morning so I was back home by 3-ish. Still, not set that I can go yet but thinking about it.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Terrain and rider skill are the main things to think about as others have said. On the technical, rock and root strewn trails we ride on the average speed according to gps is about 15 mph. Northern Maine, where the trails are more open, about 20 mph.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:21 PM
Moto Psycho

Most of the time when I look at my speedometer it's around 15 or 20 MPH but there are times I have to watch what I'm doing more carefully and can't look. I may be going faster or I may have to slow down because of the terrain. When I used to check my mileage divided by hours most of the time I averaged 10 MPH but that includes all the time it sat idling or snow plowing which I do slow. I haven't checked it in a long time but it's probably still the same.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:07 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

15, 20 mph seems very reasonable to me depending on the trail and terrain. I sure appreciate the honest assessments. I think speed on trails can sometimes be exaggerated kinda like fishing stories.

I did sign up for the BRP safety course, but no date has been scheduled yet. I plan on attending once I know the details.

David