General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Painting rims

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 06:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting rims

Any of ya every repaint rims with dupli color car paint?

I bought some black paint and primer, sanded the rims down REAL good (1.5hr per rim with a wire wheel) and just layed the primer down and put a few coats of the black dupli color on, honestly the rims look amazing if they didnt have dents in the lip I'd think they were brand new, my concern is durability though, I dont want to half to repaint these things every year so is this paint durable with 5 coats on? or should I use a clear coat or any other suggestions? Thanks!

Old 02-16-2017, 09:59 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Paint is paint.. its going to get marked up and scratched especially on a rim. You are probably going to have to touch them up yearly. To make the paint bond better heating up the rims before painting would have helped. Using something like a tiger tourch or even tossing them in the oven and heating them up to the point they are to hot to touch but not cherry red. I did that with a bumper i made years ago on my trail truck. 10 years later the paint still looked like the day i put it on. The heat seemed to suck the paint into the pours of the steel and baked it on, was rock hard

Old 02-16-2017, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Eventually it will get scratched up. I had a Polaris Sportsman X2 500 with silver colored steel rims. I did pretty much the same thing you did but only 2 good coats. It held up pretty well.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

personally, if I were to paint and not powder coat I'd use a quality enamel and bake it on...several layers of clear would be in order...